A Tasty Tri-tip

B.A. Poole

TVWBB Fan
Here's my tri-tip this week. Photo in the cooker is after a rub layer was put back on to cover handling marks. Rub was two layers; first layer against the meat was POG. That was covered by my homemade rub similar to Montreal Steak Seasoning®; for some texture. Fuel was Royal Oak briquettes with pecan as smoke wood. It went indirect heat to 115°F then it got the cold grate, reverse sear to finish at 130° - 135°F.

20210602_172405_resized.jpg20210602_181008_resized.jpg20210602_181408_resized.jpg

@JimK. I had more cookers than I could store inside. I decided to keep the WSMs over a drum and a grill. Had to make a 22 inch WSM do both grilling and low & slow.

I took the straps out. Made a jig to hold a 5 inch distance from the top grate. Clamped everything in place and I drilled a pilot hole through the straps at that 5 inch distance and re-attached the straps to the center section. Drilled the pilot holes to the exterior. These holes were opened to full size and used to attach four shelf brackets. The charcoal is held at this distance on two criss-crossed 19 inch porcelain grates.

I leave the water pan in and cover the pan opening with an aluminum cover pan made for that purpose. To reduce the size of the chamber, a 3/16 inch thick SS disc is placed on top of the water pan/cover pans. The SS disc has one inch clearance around the circumference for combustion air to pass by. All the ash is caught by the SS disc. This allows me to easily grill at 400°F, using a indirect two zone fire.

When grilling, I use the charcoal ring to keep the fuel from touching the wall of the center section. I recently got a SNS to make grilling easier. All the Weber® 22inch kettle accessories fit it too. All this allows me to BBQ and grill in the WSM. Check out Phil In Florence's channel (RIP Phil 😭) for something similar.

Back