A smaller charcoal chimney?

Wolgast,

Mark R-S inspired you and you have inspired me.

I like your chimney, I am gonna try this soon.

Thanks

Hmmm, you guys gave me an idea as well. The funny thing is I have never even used one, that is until tonight!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
Hmmm, you guys gave me an idea as well. The funny thing is I have never even used one, that is until tonight!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never used what? An idea?
icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry had to.

Whats your Idea?

Well I always use a torch and have been for many years. I keep my charcoal in a basket and my thought was why not just put newspaper below the charcoal and light? No extra moves needed.

I am not sure I am following you here.

You keep your charcoal in a basket. Do you mean you keep it in a basket while it is in use (lit) inside the grill? If so I think your Idea should work.

But, for the Minion Method in a smoker or grill you would need to shuffle the coals around anyways so they are on top of unlit coals.

when I was eight years young (1966), I thought my dad invented the charcoal chimney.... HONESTLY!
He used two big coffee cans wired together and somehow (I was too young to figure this part out) wired a grid to hold the coal three or so inches from the bottom, and put paper under the short portion of the chimney to start the fire.
Neighbors that saw this, I remember, followed suit.
Yes, my dad's name IS Ray Lampe, and sad to say.... Dad passed away in 1999.
Not the BBQ Dr. Ray Lampe many of you know, nevertheless...
In my heart, he instilled in me the art, or FART, of barbecueing. And I'll never forget the day he brought home OUR first YELLOW 18" Weber grill.

Yeah, he probably burnt the burgers.
Finally, Jim, you don't know what I have been going through to find out what you posted above.

what did you find out and what did you go through...???
Hi Jim, ever since I have been on this site, I have wondered if you were related to Ray Lampe, the cookbook author and after much searching I found the answer. I didn't want to bother you with the question, thought you might be tired of answering that question. lol

Hi Jim, ever since I have been on this site, I have wondered if you were related to Ray Lampe, the cookbook author and after much searching I found the answer. I didn't want to bother you with the question, thought you might be tired of answering that question. lol
i think i've been asked about four or 5 times if I'm related to "Dr. BBQ".... no. He's from chicago, a place I avoid at all costs.
However, I am related to Ray Lampe.
Dadonship.JPG
My Dad, Ray Lampe.
DadveryYoung.jpg
Dad.jpg

and I am sure a man to be proud of as well as the cookbook author, Dr. BBQ. I am soo sorry for your loss. Your father was a very good looking man.

Back