a question for the arborists.....

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I'm building my third speed bag platform, I'm thinking it might be a good place to mount it under a pine tree in my back yard.

My house is surrounded by five >50' pine trees - 3 blue spruces in the back & 2 ponderosa pines in the front.

What concerns do I have with sending lag bolts a few inches into the trunk? If it's just a bad idea to mount to the trees I can mount it to the side of my house, garage, or hang it from an awning. Under this big pine seems like a good place though.

When you use the speed bag, do you get dudes that come to sit and stare weirdly at you while you use it, as in the video? :D j/k...

When you use the speed bag, do you get dudes that come to sit and stare weirdly at you while you use it, as in the video? :D j/k...

I haven't hit one for years, but I seem to remember more compliments than complaints...

"you've been hitting that thing for 45 minutes" (outside of my cousin's apartment - they never complained but his wife was hung over once & said that)

or

"you're knocking all the thimbles off of the shelves" I had a heavy bag & speed bag hung from the floor joists in my aunt's/uncles house. She collected thimbles and decorative spoons.

Thanks Chuck - that thought didn't cross my mind.

Last edited:
I'm almost done with the platform..... probably hang this in the next 4-5 days.

I think I'll use 8-10" lag bolts through a 2x4 frame.

I'd just really hate to lose the tree.

Back