A Question about Times

Ben Milano

TVWBB Member
Simple scenario that I need some hlep with. I read two different answers so I figured I'd come to the experts

1. I'll be smokin' a 4-6 pound pork butt
2. I want to serve the food around 4:30pm
3. What time should I place the meat in the smoker?

I read 1 1/2 hours per pound at 225 degrees then let it rest 1/2 hour prior to pulling apart

Then I read 1 hour per pound at 275 degrees and let it rest an hour prior to pulling

Yes, I'm confused

If only the answer were a simple one. Read enough around here long enough, and you'll see the phrase, "it's done when it's done" again and again. Best-guess estimates at 225° can vary from 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound, so you can see that makes for a wide variance when multiplied by 6 pounds. I don't think an hour per pound, even at 275°, is realistic-- maybe with foil, but the results probably won't be as good. Resting isn't really required with pulled pork as much as hitting a final temp of at least 190° is-- you just need some heat-resistant gloves or a couple forks to shred the meat, and reserve any juices to add back to it.

I would say, if you don't want to lose any (much) sleep, and you want to eat at 4:30pm, cook at 250° (measured at the grate), foil and return to the cooker when it hits 160-170°, and have your cooker ready to start cooking by 6:00am. Under those conditions, you should finish a little early, and, if so, a rest of up to a couple hours in a dry cooler before pulling won't do any harm.

I cook at around 250 lid and never finish much sooner than 1.75-2 hours/lb. It's done when it's done. (I pull at 190 for pulled pork.)

Foiling around 165 will speed your cook; you lose bark texture, not quite as tasty an an unfoiled cook, but it will be good nevertheless.

If you're a night owl, you could start around 11 p.m. or midnight, get the pit stable at 250 at the lid and go to bed. Get up 6 or 7 hrs later and check it. You'll be finished, 195, probably at 11 a.m. or noon. Let it rest in HD foil in an empty cooler till around 4 p.m. and then pull it to the amazement and delight of your guest. I've held mine for 5 hrs and the internal temp of the meat was still over 150.

Good luck.

Paul

I have never smoked less then 2 butts at one time and it takes me at least 2-2 1/2 hours per pound and I cook between 230-250 at the lid most of the time. But Doug is right, its done when its done. Read old posts on the subject but dont be afraid to ask these guys questions if you need to. My first butt was great but I worried too much about it. Let it cook and pull 195-200, wrap in foil, place in cooler with an old blanket on top for insulation, (or towells) and the meat will hold for a good while. yum.

Ben,

There are many answers because each answer is based on a set of taste buds. You could smoke that butt for a few hours (4 - 6) and finish in the oven. Or, you could pull early -- I've done that numerous times -- and have something tasty but not quite exquisite.

Or you could smoke a couple of shoulders for 1 to 1.5 hours each (in Arizona) and have something rippingly great.

In any event, read through the board and realize that you are not defined by a single smokin' session. Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Back