A question about steak quality

I can get prime that has been dry aged for 21 days at Porterhouse 16.99, T bones and Delmonico for 14.99. Once they're cut, they don't keep them in the case for very long, so I usually get older ones at some discount.

As a result, I'm pretty much stuck cooking them. I can not find anything else that can compare. I did a beautiful porterhouse from a local angus grower that's pasture raised/grain finished. It was good but, lacking the aging, it didn't stack up.

I've been lucky to hit into some great steaks and I just don't think you can beat a properly aged delmonico.

Delmonico steak—I think it had its origin at the Delmonico Restaurant in New York City. I've never eaten there.

I've seen delmonico steaks on other, highly regarded, restaurant menus. They turn out to be either rib eyes or New York cuts.

I've alway wondered if the original delmonico steak was a cooking method and not a cut.

Originally posted by John Boehm:
Cooking technique/ability plays the biggest part, not steak quality it seems. I am a Costco member and their meat looks great. I'm going today to get some ribs, first time trying them on a grill. If I don't mess them up I'll post a pic.

I am not sure if you can make a "Select" steak taste as good and tender as a "Prime" steak no matter the technique and/or ability.

I've paid anywhere from $13.99/lb (Costco Prime) to $28/lb for Prime. If you didn't think they were worth it, that's ok - we all like different things. I have often passed the Costco Prime for Choice, because around here, there is so much inconsistency and the Costco Choice is an excellent choice (pun intended).

Wish I could find CAB as easily as it is to find Prime around here - that'd probably be the most economical choice for me, but it's rather rare, and $13/lb when I can find it.

Back