A Mighty Smoke is Coming

Mike N

TVWBB Member
I'm having a big bbq at my house next week and have a bunch of questions. I was hoping that I could list some of them and get some advice. I've done a lot of research on this site, but still have some questions. For some, I'm repeating myself from other posts. No need to answer everything. I will take whatever nuggets I can get.

My plan is to have 30 to 40 people at my house next Sunday. The meat is 2 butts, 2 briskets, and 5 slabs baby backs. I have modified the WSM for 3 racks. The only rack at the store that would fit was a weber charcoal grate. The guests arrive at 2:00, so I figure on putting down the brisket and butts at 7:00 PM the night before. I will put the ribs down when I free up some real estate, or when I pull the meats.

Here are some of my questions?
1. Will the amount of meat (assuming lots of sides) suffice?
2. Will the cook times increase based on the amount of meat?
3. Assuming 15 hrs, I would take them off at 10:00 AM. Is 4 hours in foil and pre-heated cooler going to work?
4. Can I get by with a foil-lined pan? Lined pan with foil and extra piece streched across.
5. Other than possible rust, is there any problem (taste, health, otherwise) with using a charcoal rack?
6. My philosophy is, "simple food done right". So, I plan to use TexasBBQRub (regular for pork, brisketblend for brisket) and spray all meat with high quality applejuice (on the turns). Sound ok?

Bonus Question:
* I'll be keeping my Genesis filled with corn on the cob. The plan is to not soak them, only cut the end silk, and grill them on high heat until black all around (about 25 minutes each). Normally, I clean the corn, but I'm not going to be that ambitous. Can anyone vouche or move me off my corn plan?

Help is appreciated! I will probably have a bunch more questions before next week. Thanks for everyone's help. When this is over, I'll post my pictures.

-Mike

P.S. BTW, the only other things I'm making (besides meat and corn) is cornbread (Weber Art of the Grill), and a recipe I found that tastes a lot like Famous Dave's Drunkin' Apples. The guests will bring the rest.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike N:
I'm having a big bbq at my house next week and have a bunch of questions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>To which I assume I am invited.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> My plan is to have 30 to 40 people at my house next Sunday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> You mean 31 to 41--right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 1. Will the amount of meat (assuming lots of sides) suffice? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 2. Will the cook times increase based on the amount of meat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Only somewhat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3. Assuming 15 hrs,... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not sure I would go there--it will depend on size/weights of what you cook and the cook temp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Is 4 hours in foil and pre-heated cooler going to work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 4. Can I get by with a foil-lined pan? Lined pan with foil and extra piece streched across. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Do you mean as opposed to water or sand? That will depend on your target temps and what you plan to fuel with.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 5. Other than possible rust, is there any problem (taste, health, otherwise) with using a charcoal rack? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nope.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 6. My philosophy is, "simple food done right". So, I plan to use TexasBBQRub (regular for pork, brisketblend for brisket) and spray all meat with high quality applejuice (on the turns). Sound ok?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not all that familiar with commercial stuff so I'll leave that alone (I've heard good things about TBR). There is little benefit from spraying at all--unless you plan to spray frequently--and I'm talking every 15 to 20 min here. If you do it as frequently as is necessary to really make a difference you are adding substantial time to the process; if you do it at the 'usual' times 'recommended' you are doing nothing. My advice (and my opinion): don't bother.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bonus Question:
* I'll be keeping my Genesis filled with corn on the cob. The plan is to not soak them, only cut the end silk... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Good. But take off most of the husk. Leave the inner leaves that just cover the kernels intact. They will protect the kernels at the outset, but will dry and shrink at precisely the same time the kernels heat and are more adjusted/able to take direct heat.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> ...and grill them on high heat until black all around (about 25 minutes each). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>They should take less than half that time. 2-3 minutes per side (4 sides) should be sufficient--but this depends upon heat intensity.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The guests will bring the rest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Make sure whatever they bring is up to the level of the food you're cooking!

I'm a rib lover and to me it sounds like you might be a little short on the baby backs.

I would also add cole slaw to the menu. You need something a little green to balance things out. Perhaps, you can ask a guest to bring the cole slaw.

Sunday I found a great cole slaw recipe on this forum. Search for "Doug D Cole Slaw". It's the best cole slaw recipe I've ever tried.

If you go with just a foil lined pan, I wonder if the bottom rack would be considerably warmer than the top rack. If you haven't cooked with that method in the past, I would stick to whatever you are most familiar with for this large cook. The last thing you want is a cooker that is behaving much differently than what you are used to for this large cook.

Thanks for the replies!

David -- You're absolutely correct in your advice. New plan. I'm going with water. It's sound advice to stick with what one knows.

Joe -- I will look at Doug D, but I admit that I left slaw off my menu on this post. The reason is, I'm going to buy it at the store. If I didn't have it on the menu (included in the invite), everyone would bring slaw (and think it was original and I'd have 10 varieties of the same store-bought coleslaw). However, and truth be told, I have all I want with what I'm making from scratch. I'm leaving the slaw and q sauce to the merchants.

Kevin -- You are the man!!! Thanks for all of the replies. I will definitely make the corn your way. I will 86 the apple juice. Do you think a mop on the turns is the same, or would that be beneficial? If so, is there something that will work for all the meat? And, oh by the way, Okeechobee is a bit of a distance from north of Chicago. That said, it would be my pleasure. Travel would have to be on you, but I'd pick up the meal.

-Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike N:
I will 86 the apple juice. Do you think a mop on the turns is the same, or would that be beneficial? If so, is there something that will work for all the meat?
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No need for a mop, remember everytime you open the lid it adds 15 min to the cook time.
icon_wink.gif
Now shut that lid!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No need for a mop, remember everytime you open the lid it adds 15 min to the cook time. Now shut that lid! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No need to turn either?

I travel for a living so it is always on me! As it turns out
icon_frown.gif
I will be in L.A. next Sunday. Next time!

I do not turn, flip or rotate at all. If you wish to do so--and you wish to mop at that point--then make sure the flavors you want to impart from the mop are well concentrated. To me, if there are flavors I want to layer on, I'd rather do so by including them in the rub or by simply making a glaze to go on for the last few minute of cooking. (I see little use for a mop with butt. The flavors will not absorb. Since the butt will likely be pulled one can simply add the flavors during pulling. I do this myself with a finishing sauce. A glaze, however, can add flavor and shine to the bark, something that will stand out when the pork is pulled provided the bark is not pulled or chopped too finely. I do not do this myself, but it is a good approach if that style is what one is shooting for. For brisket, I'd rather apply the flavor through the rub, either a dry rub or, more frequently, a dry rub over a paste rub. A glaze for brisket is, to me, out of the question.)

Have a terrific cook!

No need to turn either? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mike, The only time is if I have a end of the meat in the hot zone. Sometimes when doing a chuck roll, or a huge packer I'll move it out of the hot zone once it shrinks a little. See sometimes when the meat shrinks it only moves on the thin end and the thick end remains in the hot zone. If left there the meat will get very crispy.
icon_wink.gif

Mike,

I once had a party at 6, and my butts were at 198 at 9:30. I doubled wrapped them in foil, pre-heated an Igloo Extreme cooler, and placed a beach towel underneath and a fleece throw on top of the butts. At 6:30, the were still at 154.

Don't fret, and enjoy yourself! You will be fine.

Good call on the slaw, as well.

Trevor

Back