A Good probe for HM

AZarett

Walking around the BBQ fest a couple weeks ago, I saw the FlameBoss, controller aside - I really liked the probes. They appeared to be metal shielding just like usual, but they had a really nice slick Teflon coating on the outside.

Over time, all my probes end up with tiny breaks in the shield that prick my fingers when I grab the cords.
I don't know the specs on the probe, but I just ordered one. It appeared to be a standard RTD type probe, hopefully I find suitable values for it to use on the HM.

They have a pit probe, but the older thermocouple probes they sell DONT have the coating. I guess I could just use the RTD probe for pit as well, but I really like my thermocouple pit probe response.
https://www.flameboss.com/Flame_Boss_Products

Wow neat! I'd not heard of the FlameBoss but it looks like devices are finally catching up to HeaterMeter. Interesting how they went with all RTD probes over the previous models all-thermocouple, and even more unusual that they use a 2-wire probe somehow. Usually you see PT100s with 3 wires so you can offset the resistance of the wires. I wonder if that means they're using precision current sources for the excitation.

Either way, man it must be nice to have custom probes made. I'd love to have super premium PFTE coated probes (no grounding noise, y'all!) with nice spring strain reliefs with just the right length jacks!

Wow neat! I'd not heard of the FlameBoss but it looks like devices are finally catching up to HeaterMeter. Interesting how they went with all RTD probes over the previous models all-thermocouple, and even more unusual that they use a 2-wire probe somehow. Usually you see PT100s with 3 wires so you can offset the resistance of the wires. I wonder if that means they're using precision current sources for the excitation.

Either way, man it must be nice to have custom probes made. I'd love to have super premium PFTE coated probes (no grounding noise, y'all!) with nice spring strain reliefs with just the right length jacks!

I like their fan and mount options. Does anyone know if that barrel jack is compatible with the heatermeter's?

They use a barrel jack so you'd need something like this female adapter, then punchdown the ends into a RJ45 plug to go into HeaterMeter
2.1mm plug
RJ45 plugs

These are Amazon links but the RJ45 you can find at Home Depot and the cable can just be cut from an extension cable or something else. EDIT: Note they may be 2.5mm barrel jacks on their blower.

Back