a good knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Evers

TVWBB Fan
I want to purchase a good knife for cutting meat. Can any of you suggest a good all around knife that you think would work the best?

Thanks,
Larry

hey larry,

I got 3 knives for christmas, the brand is called Cutco, which my wife tells me is high quality, I do not know how true that is BUT it did fine in our standing rib roast christmas night.

Larry,

I have heard several people talk about FORSCHNER knives and the excellent quality. I just recently found out that I have a supplier not more than 6 blocks from my home. I don't own any yet but it's just a matter of days. These knives come with either a rosewood or vibrox handle. The company is, I beleive, Victorinox, same people who make the Swiss Army knife. Very reasonable price for great knives. Take a look at
www.discountknives.com

Good Luck

I have a 25 year old set of Cutco, and they're truly great-- once you get past the price (they weren't cheap 25 years ago). They stay sharp and still look like new. The latest issue of Consumer Reports has a gift guide and they have an in-depth section on knives worth checking out.

I have a large set of Forschner and they are very good. I have a Henckel slicer that is the best single best knife I own. I have a couple of Cutco pieces also and like them very much.
The thing about knives is they have to fit your hand, be well balanced and hold a edge, if a knife meets those three things, buy it.
Jim

I own a Heinz 57 variety of knives. My two favorite knives are a Sabatier Carbon steel chef?s knife and a Japanese laminated chef?s knife. The laminated blade has a carbon steel center and stainless outer panels. Yes carbon steel will rust however nothing takes an edge or holds an edge as well as carbon steel. Regardless of brand the factors Jim mentioned and keeping it very sharp is what is most important. Get the longest slicer you can afford. I have a 12" Dexter Russell which is a fine sharp knife but sometimes I just reach for the 14" slicer I bought used from the local restaurant sharpening service because I like to keep the blade parallel to the cutting surface and on a big piece of meat that means a long blade. 8" slicers that come in sets are worthless IMO.

Forschner makes a fine knife. For a bargain in forged knives of very high quality Mundial of Brazil makes a great knife, if it fits your hand.

Well, I can say a bit about cutco. I used to sell them a few summers back. All around a pretty good knife. Well made with the triple rivet, full tang, etc etc. Surgical steel is what the balde is made of which i hear some people complain about. My grandmother has a set from a long time ago and seems to still be in good condition, but they need sharpening badly!
I have never had to use the guarentee but they say they will replace, fix, sharpen for life; so that is a plus.
But like said before balance and fit are crucial so try them out. I personally would go with a cheaper brand.

Scot

I dont work for them anymore this is not an advertisement.

Hi Larry!

For meat trimming try the Forschner 6" Flexible boning knife. I did some research on this and visited several(6 I think) local butchers...every single one of them was using the Forschner.

Because the Forschner's are stamped, their blades are thin and flexible..which is what you want for meat trimming.

Also, Cook's Illustrated rated them right up there with the Wusthoff's.

Head over to DiscountKnives and check out the best prices on the web.

Check out pcd.com. They sell great knives at really good prices. I use Wustof Trident Grand Prix knives. They hold an edge for ever and are really balanced. I have used a number of different knife brands, but Wustof is the best one I have found.

Hi Larry - if you want just one knife, get a good chef's knife. My favorite is Wusthof 10" wide chef's knife. Tom K (anybody named Tom can't be all bad!) recommends pcd.com.

Some people like 8" better, some people like the lighter narrow knife, some people like different handles, different brands. Forschners are good, especially if you're going to be using it in an environment where it might get stolen. Go to a store where you can handle the knives and try them out. The best knife for you is the one you like the best. When you buy the knife, buy a steel from the same manufacturer, and use it whenever you use the knife. It will make the edge last much longer.

Since you said you want one all-around knife, a chef's (or cook's) knife is the one to get. You might want to get other knives (boning, slicing, paring, etc.) in the future. After the chef's knife, the paring knife is probably the most useful.

Happy BBQ'n.

Tom

PS if you're in California, come to the CBBQA's Q-fest on Jan 25! We're having a workshop on meat carving and slicing.
Q-Fest info

Tom,
The Q-fest in San Dimas sounds great! We will be there. As for the knives go, after reading all the suggestions from everyone I checked out Consumer Reports on the net as suggested by Doug and decided to go with a set of OXO Good Grips. I picked them up only last night so haven't had a chance to use them yet. Incidently, I found a web page that tells you everything in the world about knife sharpening. It's ameritech.net/users/knives/knives.htm
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back