A Few duck pics

jeff lowe

TVWBB Super Fan
Here is a little smoked duck recipe of mine.

This is how I do it: it is like a peking duck in the beginning and a smoked duck in the end.

Big pot of water
1 cup of molasses
1 cup of vinegar
2 Long Island ducklings (4 to 5 pounds each)

Marinade:
soy sauce (get the good kind from the chinese store if you can)
minced garlic
minced ginger
2 tablespoons ground white pepper
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sesame oil

Take a wire clothes hanger and rig it so you can dip the duck.

Bring the pot to a boil and dip the duck in for 1 minute. Take out and let water come to a boil again. Dip the duck for 1 minute again. Repeat one more time for a total of three dippings.

Take duck out and let hang some place to dry completely up to 12 hours; under a fan is good.

Combine the rest of the ingredients and rub all over the duck as it is drying. Just take a brush and keep doing it every once in a while. Poke holes all over before you put in frig. Let the duck dry and then put into the frig uncovered to dry up to 2 days.

Poke holes all over the duck before you put it in the smoker, I use a very light wood like apple or alder or no wood at all.

Smoke at 300-350 degrees until 150 deg. internal.

if you want the skin really crispy, get about 6 cups of oil in a large wok and cook until the skin is crisp.

Serve with a sweet peach or plum sauce.

Here are the links to the pics. http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAM2zlu1atmjFOA

Enjoy.

Jim

Let me know if you tried it and how it came out. Many in the restaurant business finish it off in a wok with oil for a few minutes using a ladle and pouring it over the duck to really crisp up the skin. Some also finish it off at a high temp for the last 15-20 minutes too.

Let me know.

Hi Jeff,

I am definitely going to try your recipe on my next cook. If the mountain of snow covering my WSM melts enough for me to find it !!!!!!

One question...Is the skin rubbery (doesn't look like it in the pics) or somewhat crisp right off the smoker?? I love duck skin !!

Al

Al

It depends on a few things. If you got the skin really dry enough that is a big factor. Let it sit under a fan to dry and then put it in the frig for a few days. It comes out fairly crispy if you finish it off a higher heat at the end of the cook. To get it really crispy get a large wok and ladle hot oil over the skin for a few minutes.

Let me know how it goes.

I follow Raichlen's instructions and wash the duck, dry it, prick the skin (not the meat) all over the place, then set it uncovered in the fridge overnight. Then you re-prick it again before it goes on the grill (beer can duck, in my case).

I've got a goose in the freezer and I'm thinking i might do it on the rotisserie. I wonder if you can do goose chinese style (five spice powder, and serve it up with raichlen's scallion pancakes ala peking duck)?

You really like Raichlen dont you?

When it comes to duck I follow the instructions of the chinese as they have been doing duck for about 3000 years more than Steve.
icon_wink.gif

Just kidding and your method will work fine Im sure.

I love him! I credit him (and Howard Stern, who widely plugged his How to Grill book) for starting me on this path. How to Grill is pure genius---those pics and thorough instructions are sooo excellent for novices like me. And grilling has led me to smoking, and here I am, all thanks to that jolly good fellow. And I absolutely adore his pbs show, and have tried many good recipes straight off the tv. And he seems so nice and likeable! (he's a gentle pisces, for those of you watching the stars)

I've had good luck with the duck done his way, but my mom used to do it your way for my grandfather whenever he visited them, back when my folks were first married. Except in an oven of course. (My mom's not 3000, btw)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Susan Z:
for novices like me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Susan, you a novice ?????
icon_confused.gif

Back