A couple questions about my chuck eye roast

Craig C

TVWBB Fan
Just got home with my boneless chuck eye roast, 9.02 lbs worth! A little bigger than I had planned for, but OK. Then the wife tells me she has to fly to Chicago Sunday for her work, the kickoff party is off! No problem, I'll smoke back ribs for me. My questions are, can I freeze this and still expect to have a good roast in a week or two? And, if I cut it in half before I smoke it, would the two smaller pieces (4.5 lbs each) cook faster than the whole piece of meat (9 lbs)?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig C:
Just got home with my boneless chuck eye roast, 9.02 lbs worth! A little bigger than I had planned for, but OK. Then the wife tells me she has to fly to Chicago Sunday for her work, the kickoff party is off! No problem, I'll smoke back ribs for me. My questions are, can I freeze this and still expect to have a good roast in a week or two? And, if I cut it in half before I smoke it, would the two smaller pieces (4.5 lbs each) cook faster than the whole piece of meat (9 lbs)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you can freeze it. Thaw it slowly over a couple of days in the refrigerator. If you cut it in half, the two pieces will cook a little faster than the whole, but not much. The only reason I would do that is to make two seperate cooks. If you're going to do it all at once, leave it whole.

JimT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig C:
Just got home with my boneless chuck eye roast, 9.02 lbs worth! A little bigger than I had planned for, but OK. Then the wife tells me she has to fly to Chicago Sunday for her work, the kickoff party is off! No problem, I'll smoke back ribs for me. My questions are, can I freeze this and still expect to have a good roast in a week or two? And, if I cut it in half before I smoke it, would the two smaller pieces (4.5 lbs each) cook faster than the whole piece of meat (9 lbs)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure you can freeze it. If you have a vacuum sealer that would be the best way to preserve freshness and prevent freezer burn. One definite advantage to cutting the roast in half is increase area for rub coverage. That will increase the bark area and add increased flavor. It may decrease the cooking time, but not considerably. Good luck.

Agreeing with Jim and Larry here. 90% of the meat we buy gets frozen at one point or another before I get a chance to cook it. We vacuum pack all the meat when we get it home and throw it into the deep-freeze until a couple of days before we need it.

Back