A couple of visits to see member Hank Bates

John G (Boston)

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello Everyone,

Just made a second trip to visit Hank Bates and pick up some left over goodies he had at his place. On the first visit (a bit ago) Hank presented me with a really nice, totally rust free Genesis Silver B frame (2000-2001 vintage). He had read about my frame troubles and offered me his extra frame.

Both of us toyed with the idea of using the Silver B frame to do up a 1000 but after some careful measurements (and reading on this forum) we concluded that, while the left side would work, the right side would not – and the lower crossmembers also would not (too short). So, rather than making a Frankengrill out of it, the nice frame is gong to get used on an other Silver B , of the proper year no less. I’m going to use it to rehab my first grill – the 2001 with the rotted out frame.

On the second visit I picked up all of the extra parts Hank had from stripping a Genesis 2. This seems to be a pretty early grill (I will post a few pictures). Hank had read about my attempts in straightening my 1000 cookbox and reached out to me.

Even though he plans to build a 1000 at some point, Hank offered me his cookbox saying, “You seem to be more ready to use it than I am”. Gosh, how nice is that? I really didn’t want to take it until Hank was done with his build but we both concluded that finding an other 1000 would be the way to go since the Genesis 2 frame is too long for Hank’s needs.

We chatted for a while about the grills, this wonderful forum, and old cars. And, I had a second look at Hank’s old Spirit 700 (which he bought brand new in 1994). He has done a really nice job doing it over and it now sports a red top. When I had last seen it the top was green.

When I visited the first time Hank was looking for some frame end caps for his 700 and also a grease cup holder. I brought some caps I had bought for my 1000 and I picked up a brand new OEM Weber grease cup holder for him. On my second visit Hank had a need for some stainless rod grates. Sadly, all I had at the moment were some of the pressed ones and a really bad set of iron ones.

So, I am now keeping an eye out for a decent 1000 frame and cook box so that Hank can build a vintage stable mate to his 700 (he already has a nice green top waiting for it). I’m quite sure we will find one.

-John (Boston)

Cool. Not sure if you saw this. I had a 1000 where the left hand side of the frame was rusted out and parts of a 2000 or 2001 silver B. I combined them to get the deep cookbox of the 1000 with the easy maintenance of a Silver B. This became my rotisserie grill and until I restore my Genesis 3 it is in service. I did a brief writeup here:

Hey Dan,
I actually had not seen that thread, glad you pointed it out. Very nice job you did combining those grills. You ended up with a beauty there. You used the left side of the Silver with the right side of the 1000 (and I assume you used the longer 1000 lower crossmembers or made new ones). I found the Silver crossmembers were too short to use. That bird! Now you've done it. I'm hungry.:ROFLMAO:

-John (Boston)

Back