A Big One (for me at least)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Rempe

TVWBB All-Star
Girlz and Boyz:

I am doing my first multiple meat smoke on Friday. I will be doing 2 pork butts and 1 beef brisket. Do I need to(or will it be more helpful) keep the weight of the beef and pork in the same range. All 4 or 5 pounds a piece or does it not make a difference?

Any help is appreciated as I am looking to make a huge impression on the neighbors! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Doesn't make a bit of difference whether the weights are the same. You'll pull off each piece as it reaches the desired temperature.

I would recommend cooking the butts above the brisket. The drippings keep the beef nice and moist!

Just remember, when trying to make a good impression on others, shoot to be finished cooking a few hours before the time you want to eat. BBQ will hold, wrapped in foil and covered in towels in a dry cooler, for several hours without harm. Hungry guests kept waiting are no fun, as is a stressed-out cook who can't socialize with them.

Butts take a little longer per lb on average than does brisket. I think if you had 5 lb butts, you'd probablly want a brisket in the 7-9 lb. range and they'd be done about the same time. Of course, all pieces of meat will not cook the same, so it's best to use the "cushon of time" theory Doug mentioned.

Both take about 2 hours per pound, but usually count on the brisket finishing first. Put pork butts on top grate BTW.

Last weekend I did a 14lb brisket and 2 8lb butts for a total of 20 hours. I had to finish the brisket in the over for about 1 1/2 hours to get an internal temp of 205. Brisket on the bottom, butts on the top.

I'm doing the same thing for Sunday but plan on starting around noon tomorrow so they can be done early in the AM on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back