9 racks of spares???

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Griffin

TVWBB Member
Hello all,

I'm planning on loading up the WSM with 9 racks of spares on Friday. I've never done more than 3 racks at once. Are they going to fit???

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks a lot,
John

Sure, if you rack 'em, roll 'em, and/or stack 'em. I think someone claimed fitting 14 at once. I don't think any of the tips in the Increasing Cooking Capacity article lend themselves well to really maximizing spares capacity. Sometimes cutting them in half helps, in that it keeps the ends away from the hotter edges of the grates.

There is a thread in here somewhere with a pic of several slabs in a wire rack with a couple more leaned against the sides and ends, and more laid on top. This looks to work pretty well if you have a rack-- you just have to rotate them around so they're not always touching eachother at the same points to make sure to get a good overall bark.

Rolling them in a spiral using wooden skewers worrks, too. You can get four on the top grate and stack 3 more, similarly rolled, on the top of those. Same caveat applies to rolling-- skewer so the ends overlap but don't touch. Four more should similarly fit on the bottom grate.

If you're doing those ribs St.Louis style then you can cut them in half and get 9 on pretty easy. I did 8 racks with room to spare (no pun intended). If you're doing the full racks then it might be a little tighter but you should still be able to do 4 or 5 per grate.

Thanks everyone. I have one of those char-broil racks.....just got another last night. So I should be set!

I'll let you know how they turn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back