60 hour pass. 2 butts, 2 slabs, 1 brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art R

TVWBB Super Fan
Oh the possibilities.

Thinking of doing the butts and ribs on Saturday. Haven't decided on rubs/sauces yet.

I am intrigued by slathers/wet rubs. Wondering if a tomato paste based wet rub would work ok on the ribs. Will probably cut them into 2 sections each and experiment.

For the butts, I think I'll do a mustard based slather and add the Salt Lick clone rub from the rubs forum.

I was in Tennessee last weekend and picked up some Wicker's baste/sauce. It's darned spicy so I might cut it with some apple juice and use it as a baste on some the q.

As for brisket, I am a complete novice, but I did buy a 10.5 lb one from Westbrook Market in Westmont, IL today. It cost 1.89 per lb. Is that good. I'll be doing this on Sunday.

For woods, I'm thinking of pecan (pellets) and hickory for the pork. Beef...not sure...I need some help here folks.

Having fun with my WSM. A hobby, even a passion, may lead me to obsession, always a good and tasty meal.

Thanks for any input advice.

AR

Art, why not try some mesquite for the beef? Use it in moderation as it is a strong flavor but I love it on everything(not popular here).

I have a 10lb packer on as we type and I paid $2.55/lb...so you did good on the price my man!! My pork butt was $1.60/lb and that's good here at the butcher. Can get it $.20 less at BJ's Wholesale Club!

Good luck!

Any ideas about a rub for the brisket? I was searching around last night for one. How many fist sized chunks of mesquite should I use.

Do you foil your brisket? Mine is a 10 pounder, but looks a bit too long to fit on my WSM. Any ideas on that?

First brisket and all.
icon_smile.gif

Art, I use the #2 brisket blend form the texasbbqrub.com website. Not sure what I'd do for homemade stuff.

I used 2 fistsized chunks of mesquite for my cook(still going) but it is up to you. Again, mesquite can overpower if not used cautiously! 2 or 3 should be fine!

I just wrapped my brisket in foil(165) and put it back on. Will keep it there until 185 or 190.

Also, you might want to trim the point off the packer in order to get it to fit on the grate! I put the point on the top next to the pork butt I'm doing and there is plenty of room for them to cook!

Good Luck!

The butt came out fantastically. I did not try to do 2, just one. Used a modified Salt Lick clone rub...with some sugar and other spices. Slathered it down with plain old mustard to start.

The brisket just came off the wsm and I can't wait to try it. Too bad it's getting late here and I need to turn in. Guess, I'll be feasting on it and the leftover pork tomorrow and all week.

I have pictures of the butt, but no method to upload. If I figure it out I'll post them.

AR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back