6 Hour Brisket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
Is it possible that a 12 pound brisket, put on the bottom rack at 5 ish, with the top rack temp slowly increasing from 200 to about 225-230,, could be done at 11:15? Doesn't seem possible.

i'm going to leave it on. The two butts on top of it aren't close -- the bones don't budge.

I put a fork in the edge of the flat, and it twists a bit. But closer to the center, it's much tougher.

i don't get it. All this time i was worried that the smoker temp was too low. I assume that if the top rack is between 225-235, the bottom rack must be less? (In fact, my bottom rack came off the little rack nubs, and it resting just above the water pan. I would think that it's running closer to 212.

Stone, are you using water? Sounds like you are. I have got on the "sand in the pan " kick. I have not cooked on the bottom rack with sand as of yet , I do hear the bottom is hot when using sand.
Oh yeah , what is you target temp for the brisket?

Rick

yes, i'm using water. And it's gotten a bit low at times. i was going to shoot for 185-190. I just put the probe in the flat, right near the point. That area is still pretty tough to the fort -- but it's registering 183*? Oh well, maybe I'll just take it off, wrap it in foil, and stick it in the oven (off).

Just an idea, foil that bad boy with some "apple juice" and seal it up good and tight and let it ride. Good luck, let us know.

Rick

Stone, once it gets in foil it will tender up. You might want to try seperating the flat from the point the next timeand cook the seperate. The flat will always get done before the point. So if you take the brisket to where the point is done then the flat will be dry. Wrap it in foil and let it cook. Remember to let it rest then for at least an hour i prefer 2 hrs.You could always take it out and seperate the flat from the point and put the point back on the WSM. Bryan

I took it off at 4:30, wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven. Left the butts on, at a temp of about 210-220.

Took the butts off at about 7:30, wrapped them and put them in the cooler. Checked out a piece of brisket from the end of the flat -- it was tender, but a bit dry. not terrible. I put that in the cooler with the butts. Will try to get pics later.

I used the TexasBBQ brisket rub on the brisket -- that's got a lot of sugar in it? There's almost a glaze on the meat.
icon_confused.gif

Stone,
6 hours for a 12lber? Very, very fast. Did you calibrate your thermometers? Did you check the temp of the brisket in different places? Let us know how it turns out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stone:
(In fact, my bottom rack came off the little rack nubs, and it resting just above the water pan. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I noticed this aside, and just want to mention the bottom rack isn't supposed rest on the ends of the bolts, it does indeed go on the upper part of the flanges that hold the water pan.

I made that mistake once...almost cost me my 2 briskets!! Learned quickly that the flanges are the bottom grate holders!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
I made that mistake once...almost cost me my 2 briskets!! Learned quickly that the flanges are the bottom grate holders! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, I figured that out too. Ha.

By the way, after all that sturm and drang, the brisket was bloody excellent. It lasted about 15 minutes. I'll post pics when I wake up.

Stone, glad to here it all turned out well. Whats next on the menu. May i suggest a Chuck Roll. Now thats good eats. Bryan

There are 2 things I can count on:

1. The day will turn to night.
2. Bryan will always suggest a chuck roll to smoke!!

Life is good!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
Bryan will always suggest a chuck roll to smoke!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL!! Ain't that the truth
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back