5lb. brisket...How long?

Adam E

I was hoping someone could tell me how long a 5lb. brisket should cook.

I was planning on a midnight start, but then I realized that the recipes that called for that time were for much larger cuts.

Thanks.

I just smoked a 5.16 lb brisket last weekend.

I fired up the WSM using the Minion Method, and added the meat at the same time. I wanted as much smoke time as possible. I brought the pit temperature up to about 225, and kept it there. I took it off and put in foil and let it rest when the internal temperature hit 190.

Total cook time was 6 1/2 hours for about 1.25 hours/pound.

-gbeck

Thanks Gary.

It's kind of nice to know that I won't have to lay awake all night worrying about the temp.

Is this pretty much the size brisket you'll find without hitting a butcher? I got mine at Costco (Warehouse Club) near Philadelphia and they were all around 5lbs.

Wish me luck!

If you ask the meat guys at Costco, they will go into the back and get you full packers, which they always have on hand. That's what they trim the smaller briskets from which is what you see in the case. You can always call ahead and make sure they have them. Same with pork butts there, although not sure if they have bone-in.

We've had mixed success here in northern California with what Costco or major grocery store chains stock in the back. They get their meat in big chunks already in cryovac, so it varies from store to store based on what they do order. Our local Costco doesn't even have briskets, flats or otherwise. Our Safeway gets just the flats in Cryovac, although they do get cryovac pairs of bone-in pork butts.

Best deals I've found so far are at the local Asian markets. There is one near our house where they have about a dozen people in the meat department, and they do have full brisket packers in the back, and it is way cheaper as well, they do a lot of volume, and with no trimming, passed on substantial discount. I got a 13 lb packer for slightly less than the 5 pound flat, both USDA choice. Need to go back there for more brisket and butts next week.

So shop around, and don't be shy about asking, I think most of the butchers like to wait on customers that have requests out of the ordinary :-) Especially if you break out in a big smile when they haul out a monster packer, and hug it on the way to the check out counter.

-gbeck

I've actually never seen a packer brisket at any Costco. They always have full flats - around 7-8 pounds. and if you ask them, they'll bring out the ones still in the cryo packaging. But I've never seen one there that has the point attached. Since their meat comes from pretty central sournces, I'd be surprised if any had full packers.

Adam,

You can figure a brisket can take anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours per pound. When planning, I always figure 2 hours per pound, if it's done early I just leave it wrapped in an empty cooler.

Vic

Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
If you ask the meat guys at Costco, they will go into the back and get you full packers, which they always have on hand. That's what they trim the smaller briskets from which is what you see in the case. You can always call ahead and make sure they have them. Same with pork butts there, although not sure if they have bone-in.

I've asked at my Costcos, and never had any luck. Kind of makes you wonder Jane, what do they do with the points they cut off?
icon_confused.gif

No luck at Costco flats yes but not full packers
If you have a Smart and Final you can get great
product there

I dunno guys, the last one I bought was a full one, point and all. I can't remember when this was, this year some time, and Kevin told me how to cook it. It's was 10.5 pounds.

Oh, you don't wanna move here! Can you handle blistering summers with 105-110 degrees 40 days in a row????

Now, I don't know if Costco still has these available, you know how they are always changing their inventory. They now have pork butts out in the case, and those you don't have to ask for anymore.

Here's what i was told by the butchers at 2 different Wal Marts about 25 miles apart. The one only sells flats cause they sell and packers don't. The other one only sells packers because they sell like crazy. Just depends on the demand at that particular store i guess.
icon_smile.gif

Back