5 pound butt at the 4 hour mark

Jason L Ferrier

Well we just passed 4 hours just took the first internal temp and it read 155-160. Does that sound about right. I went ahead and flipped the meat and basted it at the same time. I hope it turns out great. Jason

I agree ~ No peeking. My guestimate is a 4-7 pm finish (depending on pit temp) and you need rest time on top of that. Each peek adds cook time. Otherwise, everything looks good.
icon_cool.gif

Thanks guys for the response. I am doing my best to not peek. Its tough. Should I contginue to baste every two hours and just check the temp at that point? I have not invested in a digital therm. So I have to lift the lid in order to get a manual temp. Thanks Jason

Jason,

I never baste/mop butts and from what I’ve read, most don’t. I don't rotate or flip them either but that's me. I wouldn’t continue basting and would wait until the earliest estimated time before going back in and checking the temp. I’m of the belief, baste/mop if you wish only if you have to go in for another reason when it comes to butts. If you can give us a little more information, we could probably help you out a little more on the estimated time. Bone-in butt, Pit temp (WSM, right?), Water or sand in the pan, Wind conditions.. Of course, depending on where that pig was raised and what it fed on will vary the time too but that’s another debate
icon_wink.gif
. Anyway, when you do go in to check the temp, baste/mop if you wish but get in and out as quick as possible.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I am smoking a boneless butt. Its about 60-62 outside, very little wind if any at all. I am running the pit temp at about 260 and is holding steady with all the vents wide open. Yes I am cooking on a WSM. I also just threw on some Brats about 20 minutes ago. I will discontinue mopping, thanks for the advice. Are you smoking anything right now? Jason

Weather conditions are superb. What are you using to monitor the WSM’s temp? Have you verified it’s calibration? Running wide open would normally create a higher temperature than what you’re seeing. Water in the pan? That will help moderate the temp. At 260º, you’re looking at an earlier finish temp than I mentioned and the boneless butt helps in that regard also. I don’t cook at that high of a temp so I’m not a very good resource for your estimated finish time. I cook my butts at 220º and my 7.5 to 8 pound butts take around 18 to 20 hours (approx 2.5 hours/pound). Hopefully someone else will chime in on a time for you. Another test for being done is the bone wiggle test ~ If the bone feels like it will pull out when twisting, you’re either done or close to it.

Bill

Edit: Not smoking now but finished up a 4 butt cook this morning.
icon_cool.gif

Hey happy new year Bill. I think it turned out great. I will be adding some pictures later on this morning so stay tuned. (I know your all waiting and you can barely stand not seeing my pictures) HAHAHA. I did find that when I was pulling it,I had a lot of waste. Fat mostly. Is that commen? Jason

Hey Jason, ive never had too much waste after smoking a butt! A little off the top and a couple of very small pieces when pulling. Most of the fat should have rendered while cooking. I use bone in so maybe you had a different cut?
icon_cool.gif

Happy Que Year!

Windy City Smokers

I don't have any waste either but I cook at a lower temp and all the fat renders by the time it gets to 200º. I have read that some higher temp cooks do have some fat pockets left over when they pull.

Bill

Back