5 Lbs of boneless short ribs and no clue what to do!

Alan Fink

TVWBB Member
OK, so I was at Costco and I saw this big pack of boneless beef short ribs. With no recipe in tow, I bought them anyway. They had a great color and real nice marbling. They are maybe 7" x 2" x 2" each. Looking for cooking ideas, I have seen people estimate cooking times anywhere from 1 1/2 hrs and 10 hrs. Recipes on this site seem to assume bone in or entire slabs. Any ideas on cook times or recipes for such cuts? Any help is appreciated.

Alan,

I did them once before on the WSM, low and slow. The meat turned out fair, but the short ribs that I had were *quite* fatty...almost like a .25 inch layer of fat, then a layer of meat, then a layer of fat. The fat didn't render well at all. BUT, from what other people have told me, those were just the crappy ones I bought. Better quality (like is sounds like you have) would probably be a good bet on the WSM. Other than that, I know a lot of people braise them. Google "braised short ribs" and you'll probably get many recipes.

we like those. they are not really short ribs as i understand it but still a good meat.
we cut them in half length wise and marinate
them for a few hours. then on the grill for a quick grill. medium rare and yer good to go.
make sure you cut the meat against the grain
before you eat it and its rather good.

OK...so I sorta winged it and came back with very yummy eats! I did a 3-2-1 type cook, coating the cuts in a cocoa-coffee rub I found on this board. After 3 hrs @ 220 degrees, I foiled them with a mix of cabernet, minced garlic and worcestersire. The final hr was unfoiled and basted in a mix of honey, sweet baby rays, A1 and Dr. Pepper.
The final outcome was a very tasty cut...sort of like mini briskets, with a light bark and a very nice smoke ring. Cut against the grain, dip into multiple sauce options (My fav was a mix of Dr. Pepper bbq sauce and Maker's Mark bourbon sauce). It was tender and not too dry. If I were to redo it, I might rescale to cut the cook closer to 5 hrs or so. But all things considered, with no recipe, this came out very nice. I have some left and if there is any interest, I can post a pic when I reheat for some NFL sammiches later.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">boneless beef short ribs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is a rub I use on boneless beef short ribs.
4 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons mild chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons sugar in the raw (turbinado)
2 tablespoons course sea salt
1 tablespoon ground oregano or sweet basil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon white pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

Mix in a bowl pour it into a shaker and you are ready to go, I like to give a good cover to the ribs and then I lay the ribs into a 9 x 13 on top of a cooling rack, this allows them to drip and self baste without becoming "wet". It also allows you to keep an eye on them and drain any excess fat after about 2 hours.

I will sometimes buy a really big pack or two smaller packs and you can get 3 (9 x 13s) stacked one across the other in the top of a wsm, this allows for good smoke penetration, and space saving at the same time.

I normally cook for 2 hours then drain the extra juices, then swap the pans out, putting the top pan on the bottom and the bottom pan on the top, then let them cook another 1 1/2 - 2 hours before I check them and drain them again, they turn out to have a nice crust to them and are normally cooked through, though I have been known to pull them at about the 4 1/2 hour stage, and finish them with a spray of apple juice and a quick char on the kettle, the family like the burnish this creates.

Cooking them low and slow and allowing them to stay "dry" on the cooling racks makes them one melt in the mouth dish that the whole family likes as an appetizer.

Back