5 Course BBQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
Had some friends over and served five courses of BBQ, boy it was good. Boy that was fun!

Put two whole chickens stuffed with onion & garlic, tied, dusted with some leftover whatever rub - breast down, and a few skewers of bacon wrapped scallops on the bottom rack. Put a pack of pork honey-garlic sausages, 1 rack baby backs and 1 1.5 lb chunk of pork loin on the top.

At about 2 hours we ate the scallops.

At 3.5 hours I foiled the ribs and the pork loin like the Competition Ribs with juice, returned to WSM. Served the chicken and the sausages with fresh corn on the cob and a slaw of sorts.

At five hours undid the foil and glazed the ribs and pork loin with sweet sauce over hot coals (like competition ribs). Served these two for desert with lots of sweet BBQ sauce!

Very well received, with lots of compliments. I will definitely be doing this again!

What combination or whole meal cooks do you like to do?

An inspiration ye are me laddie. Now that would make a long smoke more interesting. I had pictured sitting watching the smoke wisp out of the WSM and sampling ample quantities of adult beverages. BUT...now you have broadened my perspective. The bacon wrapped scallops are a gotta-do and some chicken parts would be good, and ..... mmmmm.....

Tks Shawn for this illumination.

Awesome menu Shawn! I'm curious on how the pork loin turned out. I love pork loin and have several boneless ones and would love to try this.

Might have to alter the cooking time as I have spares I would be smoking. Guessing I would have to put the loin in after 2 hours of cooking.

Also, what temp were you running the WSM? I thought you'd have to cook the chicken at a higher temp.

Rath *agrees with Keith*

Rath, this was my first use of ET-73. The numbers it was reporting didn't seem right to my previous experience but I didn't have time to investigate. Visually and by my nose things progressed well so I didn't worry about it this time. The birds were pretty small, 2.5lbs each max. I won't estimate a temp.

The loin was very good. It had an outer layer that was a little tough, similar to bark. The meat was a tad dry but smokey and tasty with 1/2" smoke ring. If it had lasted the night it would have made a spectacular sandwich. When it was hot, cutting it was tricky, it wanted to shred. Unfortunately, I didn't take it's temperature. Sorry I can't be more specific on the details, I was busy having fun this time and less concernend about monitoring the cook. I cooked it just like the bbacks: 3.5hrs then 1.5hrs foiled with 1/4 cup apple juice, glazed with BBQ sauce over high hear prior to serving.

When I try those scallops again, if they are coming off first I will put them on the top rack, this time I made sure they weren't under anything. Don't want to have a cross contamination problem, which I think is a serious concern about doing this kind of thing. What might be even better to do with the scallops is put them over the outside edge on the top rack to cook them quick and really crisp up the bacon before they start to dry out. Cook and eat at leisure while main course is cooking.

What if you marinated chicken wings in a hot sauce, took them out pat/air dry, dip them in oil, the place them around the outside edge and cook to crispy? Similar to deep fried chicken wings?

I'd only ever had them before at a seafood smorg .... guessing they were baked ... I saw these all ready to go at the seafood counter in my local supermarket, 4 to a skewer. I didn't put anything on them.

I bake these all the time. Horseradish sauce goes good on them /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Rath *missing seafood*

I made them before in the oven just wondering if anybody ever made them like Rumaki ( chicken livers soaked in teriyaki with a piece of water chestnut wrapped in bacon). I want to try the scallops soaked in teriyaki sauce wrapped in bacon minus the water chestnut done on the WSM.

Bryan, I would be careful with the beloved teriyaki. It would not take long, perhaps 5 mins., for the scallops to be overpowered.

I used to slather the scallops in horseradish sauce prior to cooking, but it would just cook off. What a waste. Better to just dab 'em after cooking.

Rath *missing seafood even more*

Hey! Did the scallops on the kettle beside salmon filet for daughter. Not quite smoke but OH SOOOOOO GOOD. Wrapped with bacon, sprinkled with kosher salt (new cooking toy) and EVOO.

Toooo Gooood. Thanks Shawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back