4butts???

J Rector

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey Everyone

I'm loading up 4 butts today around 6pm. my question is should i put the 2 8lb'ers on top or the 2 10lb'ers. I wasn't sure if the lower or upper great would be better for the big ones to help them finish somewhat together with the 8's . I'm trying to shoot for a midday finish on saturday.

Thanks Everyone
Jeff

I'd put the bigger ones on the top. It's hotter on the top grate than the bottom. I did this very same cook a few weeks ago. I think it took me around 17 hours.

You should be ok time wise.

MikeZ

Thanks for the replys everyone

Its should be interesting tonight .Theyre predicting mid 50's witha 5-10mph wind.I have a feeling i'mnot getting to much sleep tonight.
Oh well the adventure begins at 6pm .

Seeyaaa
Jeff

well we are sitting at 225 with a slow climb up. You should see the wind break i got up.I'm using my glass patio table on its side and a piece of plywood.
icon_biggrin.gif
Yes 2- 10lbers fit on the top grate but its real hard finding a spot for the et-73 therm to sit .I'll update later and if i can figure out the camera deal maybe post some pics.

Seeyaa
Jeff

Jeff,

I have done 4 several times, and for ease of handling I place one larger with one smaller on the same grate. I usually keep them in the WSM for about 16 to 18 hours at around 230 degrees, so figure they will all hit 195 to 200 internal regardless of grate. When turning and sopping, I have found it is a little easier than trying to cram the two larger ones together on one grate. The good news is, it is hard to go wrong as long as it is low and slow! (and of course the help of all the fine people here on the web site!!) Good luck!

how'd things come out jeff? i'm doing a similar cook dec 2nd and i'm interested in how long it took to finish the 4 butts.

Well they are finally done and foodsavered in the freezer. I hate to admit it but the wind beat me around 12:30am after about 7hrs of cooking .Even with the wind break i couldn't keep it reliably above 215. I'm not sure what happend but around 9:30 last night the temp plummeted from 235 to 205. after that it was a war. i ended up finishing them up in the oven.The 2 8's came out at 14hrs and the 10's at 17hrs. i think i might start looking into getting a guru. Although i still haven't ruled out a bad water pan.

Thanks Again
Everyone
Jeff

Jeff,
If it's any consolation, I've never been able to get a burn time longer than what you describe. I'm beginning to think the people that claim things like "14 hours - without touching it" are smoking something other than food!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Rector:
Well they are finally done and foodsavered in the freezer. I hate to admit it but the wind beat me around 12:30am after about 7hrs of cooking .Even with the wind break i couldn't keep it reliably above 215. I'm not sure what happend but around 9:30 last night the temp plummeted from 235 to 205. after that it was a war. i ended up finishing them up in the oven.The 2 8's came out at 14hrs and the 10's at 17hrs. i think i might start looking into getting a guru. Although i still haven't ruled out a bad water pan.

Thanks Again
Everyone
Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimT:
Jeff,
If it's any consolation, I've never been able to get a burn time longer than what you describe. I'm beginning to think the people that claim things like "14 hours - without touching it" are smoking something other than food! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I can assure you Jim T that we do indeed get longer burn times. If you use K-Ford, you can pack it in right and get longer than 14 hours easy. I use Lump and also now get over 14 hours easy.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimT:
Jeff,
If it's any consolation, I've never been able to get a burn time longer than what you describe. I'm beginning to think the people that claim things like "14 hours - without touching it" are smoking something other than food!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Rector:

Thanks Again
Everyone
Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just found this graph of a cook I did back on 6/25/04 a couple of days ago and this post gives me a grand opportunity to post it.
icon_cool.gif
This was my 1st butt with Texas BBQ Rub (Original Blend) and it was cooked using the BBQ Guru. I fired the WSM up at 10pm, put the butt on the top grate, closed it up and let the Guru do it's thang.
icon_smile.gif
I kicked the tires at around 11 the next morning and again at around 3:30pm. At around 5:30, the coals started to burn out and at 7:30, I added approx. 20 lit coals trying to get the butt temp over the hump...It never did reach my target temp of 195º but it might have been because the probe was in an air pocket created by rendering fat ~ I never did move it to see. Bottom line here is, this cook went 21½ hours on a load of Kingsford charcoal and as you can see from the pictures, it wasn't even mounded.
icon_cool.gif

My appologies if any dial-up users have problems with this post ~ I did try to minimize the download time and since this is the only cook I detailed in this manner, it won't happen again.
icon_cool.gif

Conditions before the start of the cook:

As I have posted before, I get 24+ hours using the MM with the BBQ Guru (using Kingsford). This is with temperatures in the mid-30s or higher. Wind is no issue since the vents are all closed (except for the top vent of course). I keep the damper at about 50% open. Extreme cold weather would obviously decrease these times. Jeff, I would recommend looking into a Guru. It allows you to go to bed and not worry about anything until you wake up in the morning.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
Jeff,
If it's any consolation, I've never been able to get a burn time longer than what you describe. I'm beginning to think the people that claim things like "14 hours - without touching it" are smoking something other than food! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I can assure you Jim T that we do indeed get longer burn times. If you use K-Ford, you can pack it in right and get longer than 14 hours easy. I use Lump and also now get over 14 hours easy.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob T.,

Interesting comment, "pack it in right." I normally just dump in a layer, add 2 or 3 chuncks of wood, dump in some more charcoal, a little more wood, then my lit coals for a MM start. This puts me right to the top of the ring.

Do you mean that you somehow arrange the coals, to "pack it in?" If so, could you explain?

Also, are you using a Guru, or just normal ventilation?

I know we've drifted off topic here, but I didn' t know how else to aske the question.

Thanks,

JimT

I regularly get 18-24 hour cooks with a single burn of Kingsford. I can fit just over half a bag in the charcoal ring forming a mound. I place approx 15 lit briquettes scattered over the unlit and open the vents wide. I fill a standard water pan with HOT water. At around 200* I close all vents to around 10% and adjust to keep the grate at 225*. This process is usually done in less than one hour. As long as wind is not a factor I can run for 12+ hours before having to stir the coals and knock down some of the ash. I've done this on a hot summer day and in the snow during the dead of winter. It really does work.

I also am able to get 18+ hours on one load of Kingsford. I use the MM with a mounded ring of charcoal with 15 lit placed on top with some smoke wood.

I am in the school of not lifting the lid untill I think the meat is done. I don't know if this helps but it works for me. All I do is tap on the legs every once in a while and mabe a little stir towards the end.

Last smoke my brother-in-law stopped by and was amazed that I was cooking that long on one load of charcoal. He kept on sayingstuff like, "One load, huh" and "You didn't add any at all?" I said this Weber is great, isn't it.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Jim

well Guys and Gals

I found part of my problem.Last night when i walked over to get my racks to clean them (26hrs later i discoverd that one of my vents .the one on the back side was still open.I bet that sucker was open ands the wind was sucking the heat outta the cooker.I usually only run with one vent open.It was still pretty confounded hot.I could feel it a foot away from the cooker.I may have sabotaged myself
icon_biggrin.gif
I gotta figure out how to get momma to spend the money on the guru.

Seeyaaa
Jeff

The term "pack it in" was just a way of saying to load up the charcoal as high as you can get it. I don't put it in piece by piece to get the most in. That would take more effort than tossing some more in after 14 hours.
icon_wink.gif

I do have a Guru, and use it all the time. (great for having "Q" ready after a 12 hour shift at work!"
When I did't have a guru, I could still get over 14 hours of burn time, but the Guru does ad more time IMHO. Keep the fuel in a dry place, fill it up as full as you can get it, (it will go above the ring), and I hope your burn time will increase.
icon_smile.gif

Back