40 pounds of pork butts in the 18.5" WSM (with photos)

Thanks for sharing!

I purchased a multipack of butts myself from Sam's Club. Should I wait until the internal temps get up to 190° before pulling the pork off the smoker?

I would go to at least 195* internal before pulling them. You can go to 200 or 205* but I would not go higher than that.

I did not check the internal on these after I foiled them and put them in convection oven for about 45 minutes at 300*. Should have been plenty. And judging from their condition when I unfoiled them to pull for serving, it was perfect. The stall is a strange thing. Sometimes you get almost no stall. Other times it seems to stall for hours in the 180-185 range. My WSM was a solid 225* the entire smoke on a BBQ Guru DigiQ-2, and after nearly 19 hours on the charcoals they "should" have been done. The stall is best accepted for what it is, and as my old boss used to say "it is, what it is"...

Last edited:
The stall is a strange thing. Sometimes you get almost no stall. Other times it seems to stall for hours in the 180-185 range. My WSM was a solid 225* the entire smoke on a BBQ Guru DigiQ-2, and after nearly 19 hours on the charcoals they "should" have been done. The stall is best accepted for what it is, and as my old boss used to say "it is, what it is"...

That must have happened to my two chickens of late. I let them smoke at around 250* on average, but the birds never made it past 160 - 165 after four hours of smoking. Never had that problem smoking two chickens on a 22.5" kettle grill.

Back