4 pork butts at once...possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron F

TVWBB Fan
I need to cook a bunch of pork for this coming weekend. I've never even cooked a pork butt yet but am not worried about it cuz of all the info on this site. Could I get 4 on the WSM?? or should I do 2 one day and 2 the next? I'm making them in advance so I can enjoy the party...nothing like working yer arse off whilst everyone else is having fun!! Going to use the mr.brown recipe....

Ron

Ron

No problem to do four. I've done it several times. Depending on their size, you could have a 16 to 20 hour cook. Although I don't usually do it, you might want to rotate from top to bottom and flip once during the cook.

I agree with your philosophy of doing as much in advance as possible so you can enjoy the party. If you're cooking only a day or two in advance, the pulled pork will store well in zip locks; otherwise you'll probably want to freeze.

Paul

I have done 4 butts at once. No problems so far. Just allow yourself plenty of time. Alot of mass with 4, but once they get going they will pretty much cook as 1 does.

Good luck, Jim.

Excellent! I figured ya could as long as they fit ok. Am I really looking at a 16-20 hour cook? That could be a problem as work/sleep may get in the way. I work midnights so I planned on getting the butts started when I get home in the morning, then get some sleep, then I can monitor them while I wait to go into work that night.....Even if I got the butts on by 10am it would only give me 12 hours to get them done. Not enough time if I need 16-20 hours....

Ron

Ya know what I just realized something...I can just do the 4 at one time Fri. night. Will be plenty of time to be ready for Sat. evening party and I will have all the time in the world to cook them....hmmmph! How much time should I alot for them to get done, including rest time??

Ron

16-20hrs is good on the cook time...hold them in foil after cooking for at least an hour so they will cool a little bit.

Could be more or less...each cook and piece is different. One time I did a 6lb butt all by itself and it took 20hrs to cook!! Give yourself the extra time and if it finishes faster, you can hold them till its time to eat. Finished butts can hold for 4+ hours wrapped in heavy duty foil and placed in a dry cooler with towels wrapped over them!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back