4 Pepper Rub

Ray, no games...did cook burgers and dogs at scout camp-they were tired of 3 days of cardboard food from the foodservice...

I have not ordered from Penzey's yet. They sure get a lot of good press.

The shallots sound good-I might be tempted to add a few slivers of garlic too!

Steve,

I recently tried garlic - not a good idea. It does not get enough heat to cook and is essentially strong, raw garlic. I did not care for it. I did rub the tri-tip with a smashed garlic clove before applying the seasoning.

Ray

Steve, I made the 4 pepper rub last night. Going to put it on some beef jerky I'm getting ready to dehydrate. I didn't have any cayenne pepper so I added some ground up habenero mix a friend gave me. WOW!!! talk about kicking it up a notch. You get the sweet flavor first then the heat develops.

Ray, the garlic rub is a better idea.

Paul, I have not noticed too much heat with cayenne-that hab may have given it more zip and more better!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
I recently tried garlic - not a good idea. It does not get enough heat to cook and is essentially strong, raw garlic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Try poaching some whole peeled garlic cloves in water or stock for 10 min. It will sweeten/mellow the flavor. Slice into slivers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Try poaching some whole peeled garlic cloves in water or stock for 10 min. It will sweeten/mellow the flavor. Slice into slivers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kevin,
Great idea - thanks - I will try that.

Steve,
The marinade would get the flavor in but would not give the contrasting texture of biting into the shallot pieces in the meat. That really adds a different dimension. Tri-tip cooked this way is even good the next day sliced into thin slices and usen as sandwich material (I heat mine a bit in a skillet first).

Ray

OK so I read about this 4 pepper rub. What can it be used on? Briskets, Butts or just about anything?. I'm looking to try a new rub on briskets. Would this work?

Steve,

Used your 4 pepper rub last Sunday on two free range hens on my WSM. With apple wood for the smoke, they turned out to be some of the best ever. Cooked them at high temps (350) for about 90 minutes.

Thanks again for posting this rub!

Ray

Ray your skill is what makes the cook! I am glad you enjoyed this rub. It has been my favorite. Now looking for something new.

This has been a personal favorite...I'll be getting an order from penseys soon and I'm going to try some Cascabel and Guajillo peppers in the next batch- thanks to some of Kevin's recomendations. Another change will be to cut the sugar to just 1/4 cup.

Anyone have any other thoughts....thanks.

Steve,

This rub continues to be great! Tried it this week on some chicken breasts that I sliced to go into fajitas. Wife said the fajitas were the best ever. Thanks again,

Ray

Hey, Ray thanks. Glad it works for you. I've had the idea of a new rub project and this is one I keep coming back to.
Krugers influence has me deleting salt from rubs> Also, use little paprika in favor of grinding up peppers....
Fennel, coriander and celery are hard to beat in a rub.

I agree with you Steve. One of our favorite ways to cook tuna steaks is with only crushed fennel seeds and crushed mustard seeds rubbed onto slightly oiled tuna steaks. Very good.

Ray

Back