4 butts still going....

Ron F

TVWBB Fan
They've been on since 8:30 last night. I checked them here and there until 1am before I went to sleep. Woke up at 4am(no alarm, just woke up) temp was at about 210*. Took off middle cooking section and stirred coals, temp shot up to 245*. Tried to go back to sleep but couldn't(I work the graveyard shift so it really messes up your sleep pattern on the weekends). Butts are only at about 150* after being on for 10 1/2 hours. Using the brinkman charcaol pan and haven't had to add water yet. It was also a little chilly here last night, around 50*. I was wondering, when you all take the temp from your butts
icon_biggrin.gif
, where do you take it from? I'm assuming like any meat you want to get your final temp readings from the center of the meat. Reason I ask is that I know you will get different temp readings from different areas in a butt.

tangent...So far this has been a great weekend..I finally got a foodsaver(model v1205)via amazon on Thursday, and yesterday my Thermapen arrived. The perfect weekend to put everything to the test!!!

Ron

I keep a probe in the middle of the beast pushed 1/2 way into it. As the temp approaches 195* I will use an instant read in a few places to average out the temp. Butts are pulled off at 200*.

I check temps in the meaty part but I really depend on the way it jiggles and looks before checking the temps. After they start looking like a meteorite that wiggles, they are about done.

Ron

PATIENCE. Keep the lid temp in an acceptable range and the waterpan full. Given time, the butts will take care of the rest. My guess would be you're looking at a 16 to 18 hour cook, but they're done when they're done. Don't take the lid off too often and only long enouth to give them a quick spray.

Good luck.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I've only done them one time before and it took 20 hours. That was mostly due to my being a rookie. They came out great tho! Current butts are in the plateau stage now, hanging at 150* for eons it seems. Lid temps right at 250*.

ron

I worked the graveyard shift for years, so I know how that waking up in the middle of the night thing goes. Sounds like the butts are coming along great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've only done them one time before and it took 20 hours. That was mostly due to my being a rookie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Not so sure about the rookie part. When I do 3 or 4 it's usually 20 hours give or take an hour--and I pull in the low 190s! Sounds like yours are doing great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Not so sure about the rookie part. When I do 3 or 4 it's usually 20 hours give or take an hour--and I pull in the low 190s! Sounds like yours are doing great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I had four boneless on and had to take them off at 12 hours (just over 170). They had OK flavor (not the greatest) but had the wrong texture or mouthfeel.

My last good cook with 4 butts took 18 hours and came out perfectly. So, like Kevin said, you're on track.

Butts are still going, and going, and going....temps are climbing tho, in the 170*'s now..17 hours and counting...

Ron

well these things just don't want to get up to temp. I finally pulled them, foiled them and put them back on. Raised the temp to about 280*. Normally I'm not in a hurry, but we have a prior engagement tonight. Thats why I started them yesterday around 8:30pm. Figured it would give me plenty o' time. That Q'n I guess! It's just a tad windy here today(sort of intermittent) and I think the butts were real fatty. It's the only thing I can think of as to why its taking so long. I pulled and foiled them at 175*. They are now at 185*. They have about 20 min before I pull them and stick'em in a cooler to rest while we're out tonight. I wish I didn't have to pull them till they hit 200*, but thats not possible. I tasted a chunk whilst pulling to foil and it seemed good to me. We'll see......

Ron

So I pulled the foiled butts, tossed them in a cooler with some towels, and headed out the door. We got back 7 hours later(yes, 7 hours) and the butts ranged from 150* to 180*. Still too hot to touch! We pulled, covered with suran wrap and put into fridge. Taste was excellent all around, but the ones that hit over 190* were best. Excellent smoke flavor and still moist. I now just got done foodsavering all of it. Going to give a bunch away at work and to family....

Ron

Ron

Glad the food turned out fine. Is it possible the pit temp could have dropped during the night without you knowing it ? That has happened to me and I get up to see a temp around 200 at the lid which, of course, is less at the grate. That will slow down the cook. Other than that I have no clue why it went sooo long except you had a bunch of meat and butts are not entirely predictable.

I checked your first post again and you said the lid temp was 210 at 4 a.m. That certainly could have slowed the cook some.

Paul

Back