4 butts for 30 People

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Perry

TVWBB Guru
Im feeding 30 adults and about 10 kids Friday night and was wondering if 4 butts would be enough meat.
Thanks in advance
Dale

You need 15 to 20 pounds of finished product for that many figuring each person is going to eat 8 oz of meat. Shrinkage is aprox 50%. You need to start with aprox 40 pounds of pork butt. Using these numbers you will have extra.
Jim

Howdy...

What weight are we talking about ?How about side dishes ?

Football team or chess club ? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I think the usual count is 1 pound of uncooked meat serves 2 people when you make pulled pork sandwiches.This makes about 3-4 ounces of finished pork per person.Thats not an awful lot, so i?d cook a little more.

Are you cooking something else (dogs, burgers) for the kids ?

Don Marco

I've done pulled pork a LOT in the last year for big groups. My average butt is 6-7 lbs (before cooking), and I usually figure one butt will feed 10 people (mostly guys). If you have a low count of guys to gals/kids, then it'll go even farther. Guys ALWAYS get seconds, moms and kids usually don't.

IMHO, 4 butts will be plenty for 30 adults and 10 kids, with room for leftovers. I've done the kinda cook where you make something for the kids (hotdogs) and the real Q for adults, but you can't keep kids (the ones with good taste anyways) from getting the Q! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for helping me everyone.
The crowd will be a mixed up bunch. Some heavy hitters and a few nibblers. I am doing hotdogs for the kids, and maybe something else.4 butts should do the trick.
Dale

If I was cooking for 30 adults and doing dogs for the kids, I'd serve 3 butts and keep the 4th one packaged/refrigerated(not frozen) on it's own as the "backup butt". I've done the "backup butt" technique at several events, and have not had to use the backup butt in every case...but knew that it was there if I needed it.

The reason I don't serve the reserve immediately, is because it could be re-purposed if it's not used. If you serve it, it won't be as good upon reheating as a virgin butt would be.

One of the things about pulled pork is that if it's good, people will DEVOUR it. They'll go back for seconds. They'll stuff their faces!

OK, maybe it's just my friends....
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I put out 40 pounds (pre-cooked weight) of various Q over the weekend and got back about a half-pound of brisket (out of a five-pound flat), a half-pound of pulled pork (out of 12 pounds pre-cooked) and 10 ribs. Two chickens were eaten whole! It was SCARY, I tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back