4.2.4 Resistor Confusion

Joe Widmayer

TVWBB Member
Hello,
I finally started building my 4.2.4 with thermocouple. I am confused with the resistors. Looking at the 4,2 assembly pictures, I see more blue body color resistors than I have in my kit. Looking at the board, I see the value of the resistor. I believe the body color, not band color, is the tolerance.

So as long as I match the resistance value printed on the board, will I be OK?

Thanks,
Joe Widmayer

The body colour has nothing to do with the specifics of a resistor.

The band colours determine the specs.

WsR0Pcc.jpg

Thanks. I will use the resistors supplied with the correct values according to the board. I had though I could just copy the picture exactly. I was thinking along scale drawing vs figuring out values.
Joe Widmayer

Yeah when I did the 4.2 assembly photos, I just used what I had on hand which were metal film resistors which have blue bodies. The body color indicates what the resistor is made of and the bands are what indicate the values. Just put the right values in the right value holes and ignore what color the resistor bodies are altogether. Just like how almost all the resistors in the kit are beige, that doesn't mean they're all the same, right? :-D

Hello Bryan,
Thanks for the quick reply. I was trying to confirm what I thought from my research. I have not done electronics for a while. Your instructions/system of building is great. Thanks so much for all the work on the heatermeter.
Joe Widmayer

Dear Bill,
Thanks. They are great pictures. Certainly helps since they have such high resolution and color. I got the heatermeter together. After fixing a few poor solder joints, it works. I smoked the Christmas turkey on my BGE. I have not been able to get it working on my router/home network. I am able to connect it to my phone and laptop via Wifi.
Thanks,
Joe

Glad I could help. The network is a little tricky to set up first time around. Re read the section here: https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/HeaterMeter-4.x-Software with the heading of, Configuration.

By default the rPi's ethernet is set to both the IP address 192.168.200.1 and DHCP. If the device gets a DHCP address from your network, it will be displayed for 20 seconds on the HeaterMeter LCD. The configuration website is available at http://192.168.200.1/ (or the DHCP address) username "root" with no password. A monitor and keyboard can also be connected. If editing configuration via the console, network configuration is in /etc/config/network

The problem is, you cannot have both wifi and wired interfaces on the same network. Which is probably happening to you. I got around this by using a standard crossover cable and configuring a static address on my HM's lan interface. Or if the wifi adapter is working without issue, just disable the lan interface.

Dear Bill,
Thanks. They are great pictures. Certainly helps since they have such high resolution and color. I got the heatermeter together. After fixing a few poor solder joints, it works. I smoked the Christmas turkey on my BGE. I have not been able to get it working on my router/home network. I am able to connect it to my phone and laptop via Wifi.
Thanks,
Joe

Back