3rd cook under my belt, thanks to everyone here for the knowledge!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Finished my 3rd cook with my new WSM. I couldn't be any happier with this little piece of magic. I've done st. louis ribs and now I just finished my first brisket, 2 items I could never get right in my offset. They both turned out great. I took the advice here and did the entire cook between 300-350. The flats were amazing with some Mclard's sauce and I pulled the points the next day for sandwiches. I'll be clicking that link on the home page for my 2nd WSM pretty soon.

Thanks again to everybody who contributes.

Im going on my fourth smoke this Friday myself and I couldn't agree with your more this website is an awesome source for help.

btw what advise about brisket at 350*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
Great discussion on this topic here.

High temp Brisket </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is exactly where I got my info. The only thing I would have done different would be to go ahead and do the "burnt ends" with the points. I've been reading about them for years, but up to now haven't been able to get the brisket cooked right without finishing it in the oven, much less try to do burnt ends.

I do have a question for the vets around here. I'm used to being able to establish a good bark, but the ribs and brisket bark both were a little wet and mushy (The WSM keeps the food much more moist than my offset). I've always used mustard as a binder, but now I'm wondering if I should lose the mustard and whether or not that would help establish a heartier bark? I used just enough water on the brisket cook to keep the drippings from sizzling in the water pan, so I didn't think the water would affect it that much.

All advice is welcome and appreciated.

Don't use water in the pan to often any more, but even when I did, I could still get a good bark. I also use mustard, spread it around with a pastry brush for a nice even layer.
Have you tried more sugar in your rub, or spraying with apple juice a lot gives me a nice bark.

Back