3lb pork butt cooking time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would figure 6-8 hours depending on the temps maintained..from my limited experience it seems that all butts/conditions are different in some way.

2 to 2 1/2 hours per pound is pretty normal would think/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I cooked eight 2 1/2 pound butts saturday (they were a steal, i usually buy ?em 6 to 8 pounds).

They took 10 hours at 240- 270, but even though they had very little visible fat outside, the meat was very good and moist.
Pulled easy and had to dumb nothing, really no waste at all...Plus you get more bark when doing smaller butts.

I think the temperature is the most important thing for butts, because i?ve had more fatty butts of 4-5 punds done in 10 hours too.

Don Marco

I learned very quickly that you can't really go by weight. The first butt I did was 3.5 pounds. It took about 10 or 11 hours if I remember right. The second one I did was a 4.5 pound. It took about 13.5 hours. This was on my weber kettle before I had a WSM. I think the temp was probobly more around 220f or so a majority of the cook so that probobly had a lot to do with it. Cooking a little higher say around 240 or 250f should speed it up a by a couple hours I'd think.

Just give your self some room for time. I would not try and figure it out by weight. It usually does'nt work out that way. Every peice of meat is different.

I go by internal temp of 195 or so. Lately, it has been holding around 170 deg for hours before finally rising.

Pork Eat World
Sonny

It took 8 hours cooking at avg 250 degrees lid temp to get the butt to 195 degrees internal temp. Tasted great. Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back