3D Printed Barrel Servo/Fan

I will get them up for you ASAP. If you decide to print and use it, I would seal the perimeter of the RJ45 jack with a bead of glue since that is the main point of possible air leak with this version. The offset has the advantage that the air path is continuous without any plastic on plastic joints.

I hadn't seen any photos of peoples prints so here is one hot off the printer.

IMG_20150925_142924_zpstazfnkef.jpg

Ben, thanks for the kind words. I printed 2 of these for myself about a year and a half ago and haven't had to really use much else. I experimented with a completely hidden fan version for a while but pretty much use the offset all the time. I've never been one to use an HM during high temp cooks, but given all of the recent banter on the forums I decided to try this damper while finishing off some sous-vide steaks at 600F. I ended up being able to control my BGE with only 55% to 60% fan utilization so it seems like this design can handle all temp ranges with stock fan specs.

Bryan, I made the path length for the wire just slightly longer than the maximum required servo range. There is a sweet spot for aligning the valve but it should run smoothly if you hit it. The key to this design is that there is a closed air path from the smoker to the valve. To make sure that there were no possible leak points along the way I had to separate the servo and the air path. I also don't like wires all over the place so this sort of necessitated the fan wire guide.

Tom,

Did you ever post these files anywhere?

Thanks

Does anybody feel like printing me off a copy of the barrel model for the MG90s servos? I had a contract shop do it, but I am worried the quality is not as good as I would like. I would be willing to pay a modest amount and cover shipping...

Does anybody feel like printing me off a copy of the barrel model for the MG90s servos? I had a contract shop do it, but I am worried the quality is not as good as I would like. I would be willing to pay a modest amount and cover shipping...

Check that, I mean I need the offset rotary one printed for my BGE. Any takers? I already fabricated my adapter...

Hello everyone, I've been away from the forums for quite some time and haven't 3D printed anything in a while. I have had many requests for the files for the inline damper and apologize that I haven't put them up. To be honest, I thought I put them up a while ago but guess that I forgot. I linked to them on the first page and also here in this post. Unfortunately, I don't have time to print anything for the forseable future but it seems like there are plenty of people on the forums now that have 3D printing capabilities.

Tom,

What kind of printer do you have?

Matt

Hello everyone, I've been away from the forums for quite some time and haven't 3D printed anything in a while. I have had many requests for the files for the inline damper and apologize that I haven't put them up. To be honest, I thought I put them up a while ago but guess that I forgot. I linked to them on the first page and also here in this post. Unfortunately, I don't have time to print anything for the forseable future but it seems like there are plenty of people on the forums now that have 3D printing capabilities.

Believe I remember Tom saying he built something on his own - it is in the general 3d printing thread (long read but great)

MCSarge, I designed my own printer using aluminum extrusions from misumi. The aluminum tubing is from onlinemetals.com

Thanks Tom,

I ordered the tubing from there too.

Do you have any pictures of your printer?

I received my copies of the offset rotary and it is really a nice design, thanks for doing it!

Matt

Thanks Tom,

I ordered the tubing from there too.

Do you have any pictures of your printer?

I received my copies of the offset rotary and it is really a nice design, thanks for doing it!

Matt

Glad you like it. Sorry I couldn't help you out with the printing but I'm glad you found someone that could. Happy bbq'ing.

Glad you like it. Sorry I couldn't help you out with the printing but I'm glad you found someone that could. Happy bbq'ing.

That would be me! Thanks for posting the designs publicly. I have helped out at least a couple dozen people get an Offset Rotary Damper up and running.

Back