35 Adults 8 children

Dupree

TVWBB Fan
3 bone-in 6-8 lb butts (2 mr. brown, 1 slathered in Mustard)
3 whole chickens (Basic BBQ chicken)
1 Fatty (first ever, hey if I gotta be up that early)
2lbs of ABTs (first ever)
2 WSM (1 cooked in twice, the other brand spanking new)
1 large Batch Miss Piggy Sauce
1 large Batch homemade Ketchup based BBQ sauce (Hot)
1 Large batch Lexington Vinegar sauce
1 large batch creamy coleslaw
(other sides provided by the attendees).

2 previously successful smokes (1 set of 2 Pork butts, and 1 basic BBQ chicken; not at the same time).

1 requirement:
wife expects to eat no later than 1pm.

several questions and requests for affirmations.
(not looking for "The Answer" but rather asking you to take a look at my plans and comment on how/if you would do it differently - as my experience is limited and TVWB community's is limitless)

Edit to add key fact (thanks K Kruger)
Planning to cook at 240-250 lid temp.

using the 2hr/lb rule I have gotten from this board (thanks) I am planning on starting grill #1 around 6pm the day before (MM-Rancher-Brinkman pan w/wate). Expecting to pull off between 10-11 giving me a 2-3 hour rest. Given the parameters above agree/disagree with the start time? (what is your preferences so far as smaller/larger butt on top/bottom rack? 2 over 1 or 1 over 2 [will not be marinating them nor flipping/switching them; agree/disagree?])

Fatties go on grill #1 around 7am for 8am breakfast sandwiches for the cook.

Fire Grill #2 (standard method, dry pan, all 3 vents 100% the whole time, at 11am (hopefully after the butts are wrapped and resting). To start the BBQ chickens (1.5 chicks per rack, agree disagree)

ABTs prepped and ready the night before (recommendations for stuffing due to no leftover Pulled Pork are appreciated) go onto grill #1 as soon as the Butts are wrapped and resting.

Smoking using Hickory and Pecan Chunks thinking 2 fist size of each (in with coals at the get go) and 2 pouches of apple pellets 1 added before bed the first night and the second when the Fatty goes on (to late in the game for smoke?) for the Pork. To much or to little?

1 pouch JD and 1 pouch apple for the chicken. To Much or to little?

1 Pouch of JD for the ABTs

Do you think that is enough pork (no such thing as to much).

If you read this far, thank you, I look forward to your thoughts on my cook.

Timing depends on cook temp so, without going further yet, what is your planned cook temp? {Measured at lid or grate?)

Dupree,

Without fully digesting your thread, one thing jumped out at me...the fatties take more than an hour to cook. "Cook in the WSM at 225-250° for 3-4 hours, or 300-350° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours."

Bob W.

oops! (might have caught that Fatty timing on a re-read but just as good a chance i wouldn't have...THANKS!!) As for temp I am shooting for 240-250 at the lid.

Just a suggestion, but try out the Jimmy Dean Maple Breakfast sausage for your fattie. It's worth getting up for.
icon_biggrin.gif

My thoughts:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dupree:

Given the parameters above agree/disagree with the start time? (what is your preferences so far as smaller/larger butt on top/bottom rack? 2 over 1 or 1 over 2 [will not be marinating them nor flipping/switching them; agree/disagree?]) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If the butts are larger I'd likely start a bit earlier OR cook at a higher temp OR be prepared to boost cook temp early the next morning should it seem warranted OR (if I didn't do any of these things and it seemed, later in the a.m., that I should have) I'd be prepared to foil the butts to speed them up.

If the 3 butts were similarly sized and all would fit on the top grate I'd do that. If they wouldn't all fit I'd put the smallest below, the 2 largest on top. No flipping; not necessary.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> To start the BBQ chickens (1.5 chicks per rack, agree disagree) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Agree.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ABTs prepped and ready the night before (recommendations for stuffing due to no leftover Pulled Pork are appreciated) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mexican chorizo, homemade or store bought, removed from casings and sauteed till just cooked; drained.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Smoking using Hickory and Pecan Chunks thinking 2 fist size of each (in with coals at the get go) and 2 pouches of apple pellets 1 added before bed the first night and the second when the Fatty goes on (to late in the game for smoke?) for the Pork. To much or to little? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'd likely go with 1.5 'fists' of hickory, broken into smaller pieces, plus the apple, placed at the times you note.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 1 pouch JD and 1 pouch apple for the chicken. To Much or to little?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Plenty. Perhaps maked the JD a half-sized pouch.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 1 Pouch of JD for the ABTs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Okay. Could go with less if using bacon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Do you think that is enough pork (no such thing as to much).
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> With the chicken/other food, yes, I do. But there's room for 4... .

Awesome! Thanks K Kruger (just asked the wife to order 1 more butt) so I am thinking that I will do 2 Mr. Brown, One Slathered in Mustard and 1 naked (<- is this a waste?) Should be plenty of leftovers as the wife said "not everyone is eating pork" (silly people).

Chorizo sounds good.

So any reason why you wouldn't go with the pecan as a smoke wood? Also, here is where experience will help me later, any pointers on how to tell if I am in trouble.

And I can't thank you enough for all the great advice not only in this thread but all over this board. Thanks for taking the time.

I will give you my trouble pointer, if you are + or - 100 degrees of your target temp and the WsM is not responding after your best corrective efforts you could be considered in a modest amount of trouble.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Michaels:
Newbie question: What's a fatty? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Jimmy Dean (or other brand) Fresh Roll Breakfast Sausage smoked in a WSM until cooked (165F to 190F internal temperature). It can be smoked, as is, out of the wrapper. Or some people stuff cheese, peppers, etc in the center. Some also apply dry rubs to the outside.

http://www.jimmydean.com/products.aspx

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/hotdog.html

Back