30 lbs. of butt

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The cook has commenced. 4 boneless butts, mustard, rub, and tied.

EMPTY PAN: trifoiled. I lied-thought I would use sand but decided to go for it.

Started at 9.00am with 20 coals MM.At 9.40am temp was up to 212 closed two vents. 9.55am temp was 230, closed the one open bottom vent to 33% 10.37am temp 227, open vent to 50%.
11.00am temp 237 meat 94. 235 was my target.

ahhhh, sounds great Steve ... I won't be cooking much this weekend myself

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ...EMPTY PAN: trifoiled... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> when you say trifoiled do you mean three layers of foil across the top?<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ...I lied-thought I would use sand but decided to go for it... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I understand completey, sometimes we all gotta beat our own drum, what if Jim had actually read the manual on that day?

Hope it goes great and you can post some pics.

Shawn

What is the best way to add coals in the middle of a cook??? I use kingsford. Twice this cook I added coals on top of the charcoal in the ring. Once during the cook I swtched the bottom butts to the top...I added unlit coals 2/3 of a starter full. Once I turned over the butts and added more unlit kingford. Both times I had the wsm openned up to get to bottom rack and took the opportunity to stir the coals and add the unlit.

I am not sure a dry bowl is the best way to go. With water in the pan I am sure I would not have had the high temp spikes. Secondly, When adding coalls, it probably would be much better to take a hoe and rake all the lit coals to one side and add the unlit on the other side instead of ontop of the lit coals.

One temp spike hit 320, the other I managed better, only 286.

With a top vent at 100%, and all bottom vents closed, the temp stayed from 260 -250 for 2 1/2 hours.

I did not want to run out of fire in the middle of the night or choke the fire out-thats why I stirred and added the coals. The next cook starting this morning I'll manage the fire differently.

Steve, since you are running a dry pan with foil...the "HOT SQUAT" can be used in order to add the coals. Lift entire lid and middle off charcoal bowl(together) and set down, then add coals, then return lid and middle section(in tact) back down on the bowl!! Works great, espically with sand(heavy) and empty pan...water is a potential hazard!!

Go get um Steve!

Greg, I think the main problem I had was adding the coals on TOP of existing fire. Having a wsm opened up, provides a lot of oxygen to run the temp up. Raking the fire to one side then adding unlit to the other, should slow down a temp spike......or is stirring the coals the problem?

Steve, I have used the HOT SQUAT many times and not had a temp spike. Just be sure to monitor your temps after you get it put back together.

Also, the unlit is going to stifel the spike you are worried about...just keep an eye after it is back together...you should be just fine!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... What is the best way to add coals in the middle of a cook??? ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> If I think I'm going to need more I throw a couple of handfuls on at two intervals, this does not choke the fire. But it's hard to gauge.

If you want to add a lot, fire up another few in your chimney. When they are ready add your unlit then put the new lit on top. How many? Depends, if you're out of fuel and restarting the MM you would use a bunch. Just scale it down for smaller 'big' fuel additions.

I must not have have been clear...The goal is to eliminate the temp spike-300+ YIKES ! ! !

On this second cook, I would prefer turning the 4 butts once and moving top to bottom....

Since the first cook went 25 hours, I am planning to add unlit coals again-off to to one side NOT on top of the lit coals. Perhaps it would be smart to NOT stir the coals. Maybe then I can avoid the spike.

The second cook has gone very smooth. I have turned the butts once. I did not stir the coals or add more. At 12 hours plan to swap top to bottom and add unlit charcoal. Very steady 244-226 for 6 hours. For some reason the temp has dropped to 212 in the 7th hour. Making the first real adjustment since starting.

By the way, pulling 4 butts is WORK !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
I must not have have been clear...The goal is to eliminate the temp spike-300+ YIKES ! ! !
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Oh right. You are running an empty water pan. Forgot about that when answering 'what is the best way to add fuel?' question.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am not sure a dry bowl is the best way to go. With water in the pan I am sure I would not have had the high temp spikes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Water or sand in the pan should help stabilize temps. Guru users don't need it so much cuz the Guru manages the fire.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Secondly, When adding coalls, it probably would be much better to take a hoe and rake all the lit coals to one side and add the unlit on the other side instead of ontop of the lit coals.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> sounds like a plan.

I just take the door off and start throwing handfulls of unlit in until the ring is full and then add about 20-30 lit on top. I didnt bother disassembling the whole thing. I did rotate mine but only once at the 10 hour mark of the 22 hour cook. I put the top to bottom and left the middle butts alone. I mopped them maybe 5-7 times after the 10 hour mark too.

Jim, you said you mopped your butts 5-7 times...I have gotten lazy and do not mop. Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back