30 lbs butt - when to pull?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I'm smoking 30 pounds of boneless butt tonight (Monday PM-Tues AM). Service is Thursday evening for 35. Can I pull, moisten, put into chafer pans, cover tightly with plastic wrap & foil, and chill tomorrow (Tues) afternoon OR chill, reheat and pull on Wed.?

I need to same some time to make & smoke beans, make mac & cheese, 3 sauces, and a couple of other things, including reheating everything and packing up the car to deliver and serve.

Rita

Yes, Doug, I was leaning toward the first option too, and will do it that way unless I hear another suggestion.

It's like going to the store and coming home with everything but what you originally went there for...I don't want to overlook something.

Rita

Oh yes!
icon_smile.gif

Thanks!
Rita

Rita,
good luck on your "big" cook. But, you got to stop it! sending that heat this way again!!
it's moving east to west! 101 to 103 continues.

Thanks, Jerry. I'd hoped to get them on by 10, but it looks more like 11.

Hang on, at this moment 9:15 PM it's down to 88° and it's coming your way.

I hope everything goes well (or should it be "went well" by now?) with your cook. If I may throw in a couple of pennies, I would definitely pull before chilling. We've tried the other way - chilling, then reheating to pull - when we were young and ignorant of smoking meat. We were able to pull it, but it was neither as easy nor as good as pulling it before it's cooled the first time. Let us know how dinner goes Thursday!

For my sons grad party I pulled first and then froze in vacumn sealed bags. Used my Turkey deep fryer for boiling my water to reheat the bags. Worked great and then put in my chafeing dishes.

Back