30 Degrees of Separation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Weisse

TVWBB Super Fan
I did some temp differential testing on the WSM last. night. The difference between dome and 1 inch above the top grate in my WSM was 30 degrees. Temp ranges were from 230 (dome) to 280 (dome) and the 30 degree difference was quite consistent.

Granted, the two different therms may be out of synch. I have yet to re-check both of them just to be sure.

Is this a pretty typical diefferntial between dome and top grate? It seems high to me.

Tony...

VERY hard to compare against all other WSM's. Far too many variables can come into play. That sounds a little high, but again, there are so many variables. Every time you cook that variance may be different. That is why I always measure at the grate.

Kevin

I've always used the dome temp measurement method and a termapen internal at various times. What method do you use for measuring temp at the top cooking grate ? Sounds like that is really the most accurate method to avoid differentials ?

Thanks, PRG

BBQ has always been about ranges of heat. Cooking with wood and charcoal would give a pit master a desired range because every time he would add wood or coals there would be a small spike in temp.
If I measure at the lid and want that temp to be in range between 225 to 265?. At the start of a cook if I'm at 225? at the lid then I know the grate temp is lower but this is also the time that smokering is being produced (smokering is produce until the internal temp of the meat is reaches aprox 140?). As the meat and pit temp rise smokering production stops and it's time to break down connective tissue and I find no problem if the lid temps is 250 to 265? because I know I'm still some where around 225 to 235? at the top grate.
As Stogie says if you want to know what temp the meat is in measure at the grate then there is no question but if your using both grates and the top is at 225? what is the bottom grate at? The answer of course is something lower, but it is still within the range you want be for the production of BBQ.
BBQ is an art, the charcoal you use, what type of wood and the weather all play a roll in the temp control. Decide where you want to measure the pit temps, cook and you will become an artist as you learn your technique.
Jim

Well, part of my problem is that the therm I use for dome temp reads 10-12 degrees high! It's a Weber "replacement" analog-type and was just fine 2 weeks ago when I got it. There's no apparent way to calibrate, either. Guess I'll just have to remember the difference.

How often do you check the accuracy of your thermometers? After this little test I think I'll check every time I cook!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony Weisse:
[qb] Well, part of my problem is that the therm I use for dome temp reads 10-12 degrees high! It's a Weber "replacement" analog-type and was just fine 2 weeks ago when I got it. There's no apparent way to calibrate, either. Guess I'll just have to remember the difference.

How often do you check the accuracy of your thermometers? After this little test I think I'll check every time I cook! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sometimes if you just grab the probe with a pliers and turn it. The needle will move as well. I've done this to adjust thermometers from weber grills before.

Paul...

Jim is correct.....your temps can vary quite a bit and you can still produce great Q. I only get anal about temps when competing and catering. The reason is, everything is about time and I have my times down pat based on cooking at a steady 225?. This becomes real critical when cooking ribs and using foil.

I use a Polder clone, run the wire underneath the lid...6 years and no problems doing that....and stick the probe thru a 2 X 2 block of wood with a hole thru it. If the grate is loaded, I simply place the wood on top of whatever I am cooking. I try to find a space somewhere around the meat making sure not to let the probe hang over the edge.....outside the diameter of the water pan.

Jim and Stogie

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll stick with measuring through the dome. I've got a Polder which I use late in a long cook and also a Maverick which I haven't taken out of the box yet. For some reason I just don't like having wires come out of the cooker - no good reason, just the way I feel. I like the look of the mounted thermometer, but I can't bring myself to cut a hole in a dear friend. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PRG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back