3 items at the same time?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well, gonna cook tomorrow, weather kinda rainy and cold. Hope this does not affect the cooking in a large way. Cooker will be out of the wind and rain, so am hoping it will be ok! Gonna cook a 5 lb brisket flat, a 6 lb bone-in pork butt, and a 7 lb bone-in turkey breast. How much time am i needing to get all these cooked and is there a certain place i should place each in the cooker? Not gonna eat them until Chistmas dinner. Hope they re-warm ok, and be as good as if eaten the day cooked. Gonna chunk the pork roast and maybe pull some. thanks, jerry

Jerry,
I did two Butts last week. Had it in from almost midnight to late the next day. The weather was breezy, cool, rainy at times and I had the cooker under a fabric overhang. Didn't seem to make any difference in the temp. holding at between 240-250 throughout the cook. I find the cooker to be a fine "machine" that holds well under conditions like that. I'm kinda wondering about the temp. difference between the turkey and the rest of the meat. Will it be hot enough for the turkey and cool enough for the other???
Larry

Jerry,
Its going to be a longer lower slow cook with the # of items you have. More moisture will be created so your water bowl being depleted won't be too bad. Just be prepared to add more charcoal and prepare for a longer cook time.
Regards,
PrestonD

The flat and the but are 12 to 14 hours the breast 5 to 6 hours. Put the flat on the bottom, the butt over it and breast on the top grate also.
Keep it out of the wind and you should have no problems.
Jim

Jim,

We must have very different cooking styles, you smoke a 5-lb flat for 12-14 hours? Heck, I go about 8-hours for a 12-lb full packer cut brisket.

Jerry, you are only smoking 18-lbs of meat, well within the WSM’s capability, I wouldn’t worry about the amount in the least. The only thing I would highly recommend is that if you put the turkey breast on the top rack, with other meat below, make sure that you do not take off the lower meat until the turkey breast is cooked. The uncooked turkey drippings could cause gastrointestinal problems that would make the holidays memorable for all the wrong reasons.

When I cook multiple types of meat on the WSM I always put the poultry on the bottom pork on top. Nothing does as good of a job of basting other meats as a fatty pork butt or shoulder.

Happy holidays.

Smoking in Chicago,
Gary

Gary
You can get a 6 pound butt done in 8 hours?
I figure the flat on the bottom grate but collegen still takes time to break down, let me say that I don't do flats, I prefer whole briskets, but I don't get then done in 8 hours.
Jim

Jim,

I normally go 8-10 hours for full packer cut briskets, 12-14 lbs, and a little less for pullable pork shoulder. On the briskets, the place I buy the packer cuts only carries choice, sometimes even CAB, so I think they cook a little faster due to the increased internal marbling. I am also going about 250-270? at the top grate which contributes to my quicker cooking times.

I am a big fan of bark, to which the slightly hotter grate temps contribute, as opposed to keeping the temps in the 200-210? range. There is one problem with hotter top grate temps in that on large briskets the very outside 1/2-inch or so is typically quite dry due to direct heat coming up around the watepan.

Happy Holidays

Smoking in Chicago,
Gary

Gary
I cook about the same same briskets and cook from 225 to 265? range but it still takes on average 16 hours, when I cook CABs I do find they are done in 12 hours. Pork butt takes on the average 10 to 12 hours.
I'm not at 250 to 275? top grate temp and that's the difference I guess.
Hope you had a great Christmas.
Jim

Jim,

Might be that we have slightly differing ideas on when a brisket is done. I like brisket tender, but still sliceable, though on pork shoulder or butt I try to get them tender enough so they fall apart with just a harsh glance or cross word. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the Holiday wishes, hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas.

Regards

Smoking in Chicago,
Gary

I agree on the brisket, but don't take the butt quite that far, I like to pull in thumbs size chunks, only go to 195? internal.
It just goes to show there are a number of ways to get to the same point.
On brisket for competition the dry bottom cost you with the judges, I'm not saying it's wrong, it just doesn't score well.
Talked to Mikey Christmas morning sounded like they were having a good time. Doing a turkey with hickory, cherry, and red oak.
Jim

Jim,

It’s not the whole bottom of the brisket, just the outer half inch or so that gets dry. Actually, I never refer to this as dry or burnt, I tell people that it’s a burnt end, just like at Louie Mueller’s in Taylor Texas and then they fight over the pieces. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I also flip briskets at about the 4-hour mark and then back again at about 7, seems to keep the bottom dryness to a minimum.

Have a happy New Year.

Smoking in Chicago,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back