3 briskets, big time differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Solin

TVWBB Super Fan
Did three large prime briskets Sunday. Put on about 6:00am, 225 degrees, mustard and rub on all night in frig. Put polders in all three. Briskets were in 13-14 pound range. First brisket was hitting 186 about 6 hours into the cook. Checked with manual thermo and backup polder and verified temp. Tried to slow down cook by foiling. Finally at about 1:00pm the hunk of meat hit 190-191 and I pulled it. 7 hours for a 13 pound brisket! I knew I screwed up. Wrapped in foil, towel and put in a hot bag.
After two hours I sliced this baby and it was wonderful! Other two briskets took about 12 hours or about 1 hours per pound. These primes act weird but just have to keep cooking them.

I had the same thing happen to me on the 4th, cooked a 13 lb brisket. I put it on at 9:00pm and planned on about 18 hours or 1.5hr/lb. The brisket was 185 by 7:00 am, but I couldn't get myself to take it off yet, so I kept it on till 9:00am, 1 hr/lb and took it off, it read anywhere from 190-200. I then wrapped in foil with beef broth and kept in the oven till 5:00. It still tasted pretty good, but I think the 7 plus hours in the warming oven dried it out a little. The point shredded easily and the slices on the flat were very fragile. Makes some good sandwhiches though, next time I'll plan on only 1hr/lb.

I am sure it depends on the grade of brisket. I have had selects and choice take the usual 1 1/2 hours per pound. My luck is if I planned on 1 hour per pound we would end up eating at midnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back