3.5 lbs boneless pork tenderloin help

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Y. Atl:
What would be the best way to cook a boneless pork tenderloin on a kettle. Could I smoke it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep. Cook it indirect with the coals and a small amount of smoke wood on one side and the pork on the other. I'm doing that right now with a 2.5 lb. pork loin and some new potatoes. If I have a small cook I prefer to use the kettle-much less cleaning after the cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Y. Atl:
How hot is your grill? And how long does it normally take to hit the internal done temp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I put an oven thermometer close to the midline of the grill (closer to the coals) and it runs from 345'-370'. Usually done in 80 - 90 min. I let it sit for at least 30 min. to reabsorb the juices. Letting it rest is extremely important.

May Y. Atl;
You might also want to look into the "Minion Method" of indirect barbequing with a kettle. It is a superb method for long cooking/smoking with minimum fuss. It works really well with ribs, as well as large portions of pork and beef alike.

Dale53

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert McGee:
May Y. Atl;
You might also want to look into the "Minion Method" of indirect barbequing with a kettle. It is a superb method for long cooking/smoking with minimum fuss. It works really well with ribs, as well as large portions of pork and beef alike.

Dale53 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Robert is right by using the Minion Method. I use it all the time for pork loin & tenderloin. The tenderloin shouldn't take too long to get to 140 degrees. Good Luck

Good question. Could someone point us in the mm for kettle direction?

Btw...pork loin is resting as we speak. If this thing tastes as good as it looks....were in for a treat. I used 3/4 chimney of k-comp piled on one side. It took about 80 min to hit 145. I used apple and pecan.

If I could figure out how to upload pictures I will share.

My son showed me how to use the Minion Method (I have not yet been able to find a site to direct you to, but will keep looking).

This is for directions in a Weber Kettle:

On the charcoal grill, set up two 1" thick firebricks (on edge, over lapping) that separate the grill space into a 1/3 by 2/3 area. Fill up the 1/3 area with unlit briquets (Shannon prefers Stubbs briquets). Halfway down he scatters some pre-soaked wood chips on top then fills in the rest with unlit briquettes. He then removes six briquettes from the pile and lights them in a chimney. When they are going well, he dumps them on top of the pile of unlit briquets (he has also scattered some wood chips on top of the pile). When the smoke is going well (he starts with the bottom and top vents open), he closes down the bottom vent to about 1/4th open to control the temperature. He has a temperature probe sticking in the vent (hanging down just inside the top of the lid).

He leaves the bottom vent open until the temperature in the top gets to about 200 degrees. Then he closes the vent down to 1/4th open. When it gets around 275 degrees, he closes it down further to 1/8th open. He likes to keep the temperature around 300 degrees. 350 will work quicker but the ribs won't be quite as tender. Cook about three hours total (these times are for ribs - adjust for what ever you are cooking). He keeps the cover on until three hours have passed, then uncovers and flips the ribs. He cooks another hour then checks to see if they are done.

When finished, remove from the grill, place on a platter and wrap tightly with aluminum foil. Place meat in a cooler (no ice!) and cover with a couple of towels. The meat will finish it's cooking there. YOu can leave the ribs here up to two hours but never less than an hour. Use the juices that accumulate on the platter for the sauce.

As I have stated, these directions are specific to ribs but can easily be adapted. I'm sorry that I don't have pictures of the set up.

The fire brick are not just a divider (although that is one prime function) but they also are a heat sink that evens out the temperature swings.

This method can be used for all manner of smoking in a Weber Kettle. My model is the 22.5" One Touch Gold. The OTG has one nice feature not in the manual. The ash bin is a perfect place to mark the settings for the bottom vent with a permanent marker as per:

http://www.hotsmokebbq.com/002...tom_vent_marking.php

Here is a picture "hot off the press" of the approximate placement of the fire brick:

Weber-MinionMethod--1172_1600x1200.jpg

Dale53

P.S. One more thing, Shannon covers the bottom of the grille with aluminum foil (the 2/3 area)and sets a disposable pan on top to catch the juices. The foil directs the air path directly through the charcoal and out through the top vent. The optimum placement of the top vent is opposite the charcoal.rdm

Thanks for taking the time to post that picture. Are fire bricks hard to come by? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to laugh at that question. When my son was visiting (we live in Ohio and Shannon lives in North Carolina) we drove all over this area trying to find some. We finally located some at a very large masonry supply warehouse. We paid for them at the office (less than $2.00 each), drove out into the huge yard, and a worker met us with a smile and the two bricks (they normally sell truck loads LOL).

At any rate, we couldn't find them at any big box store like Lowe's or Home Depot. I understand that some ACE Hardware stores carry them. At any rate, check the yellow pages for masonry supplies and you should find them there. There are two thicknesses. We got the thin ones (they take up less space, etc although either should work).

Dale53

Back