3-2-1 Spares Tomorrow

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
I will be attempting the 3-2-1 on my two slabs of spares tomorrow. My queston is after I foil for 2 hrs if the meat has not started to pull back from the bone should I leave it in the foil longer?

Also what temps should I be shooting for I will put hte ribs on at 9:00am in hopes of eating at 5:00pm

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soli:
I will be attempting the 3-2-1 on my two slabs of spares tomorrow. My queston is after I foil for 2 hrs if the meat has not started to pull back from the bone should I leave it in the foil longer?

Also what temps should I be shooting for I will put hte ribs on at 9:00am in hopes of eating at 5:00pm

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would not leave in the foil longer than 2 hrs. I usually do 1.5 hrs in the foil so they don't get too mushy. I cook at 225 grate temp.

spares for me are trimmed kansas city style, cooked like 3.5 to 4 then 1 hour in foil no liquid, then grill and sauce

unless your spares are exceptionally big or you like really soft ribs, even 2 hours foiled is probably too long

I have never used the the 3-2-1 for spares before. I like to run the smoker between 225-235 for 6.5-7 hours and the ribs come out perfect. If you are putting the ribs on at 9am and will be eating at 5pm you should have plenty of time to let them cook. If you use the 3-2-1 on the spares post your results. I have only used that method on baby back.
Congratulations
Shawn

Go for a 225? grate temp. There's really no use for a resting time for ribs, so you can start 'em with a target finish time right about the time you wanna eat.

The "2" part of the 3-2-1 is usually too long for most, but if you go 3hrs smoke followed by 1.5 in the foil, the meat will be pulled back from the ends. The "1" part is usually too long for me as well (I go about 30-45 minutes), but you'll know what's right for you when you see it.

So for me, I'd be droppin' the lid on 'em at about 11:30, and cutting them for the plate by 4:45-5:00.

Kevin

I would have to agree with you on the "1" part that is probably too long. I will shoot for the 30min mark.

Also Shawn I dont see there being a problem using the 3-2-1- for spares. They are still a Rib.

The past few times I have done spares, I didn't foil at all. Around 7 hours @ 230-235. Sprayed with pineapple juice. The last hour sauced. The family said they liked them better this way. Even when I did foil, it was only for 45 minutes with no fluids added.

I just did 3-2-1 spares last week and after the 3hr mark the meat had already started to pull back, so I don't think you'll have anything to worry about.

Back