2nd Smokin Salmon

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey all,
Going to attempt salmon again. Got some real socket eye wild salmon from albertsons, pretty rare find. My question is: Do I have to use briquette's as mentioned in the cooking section? I was getting used to lump. Smells better than kingford. No water in the pan right? I never really liked the brown sugar recipie, but did brine with some. Got em drying out right now, going to use alder chunks. I just want some plain smoke flavor with a flaky texture. Any advise?

I believe that the type of charcoal you use is a matter of personal preference. There is no recipe that requires a certain type of charcoal, in my opinion. Just be aware that lump can burn hotter and perhaps not as long as Kingsford, depending on the type of lump. If you prefer lump, then there is no reason not to use it, just because the recipe calls for briquettes.

Wow, that wild sockeye had a long trip from Alaska to Florida. How did it turn out?

Griff

Griff,
Ya I was supprised to find it here. Very red, no color added $14.99 a lb though. Turned out pretty good. Still learning. I am working on getting it as closed to the cold smoked type where it is still red and flaky with out that charcoal taste, and with out that dark BBQ look. The best smoked salmon I ever had came from a friend who worked in Alaska many years ago, and claims to have watched them smoke it for a couple of days.

I too picked up a fine wild sockeye filet at my local (Boise) Albertson's (9.99/lb) and whipped-up this recipe. It was a real winner with my girls. There's a picture below.

Salmon
------
1 large Fresh wild (farmed = yuck) salmon filet
Your favorite all-purpose/fish/poultry rub

Dust the salmon lightly with the rub and refrigerate 30 minutes.

Glaze/Sauce
-----------
1/3 c Cherry preserves
1/4 c Hoisin sauce (Chinese ketchup)
1/4 c Savignon blanc wine
1/8 c Green onion, sliced thin
2 t Minced garlic
1 t Ground ginger
Dash Ground cayenne pepper (more to taste)

Combine all ingredients except the green onion in a medium sauce pan.
Bring to a boil then immediately reduce the heat and simmer 10 min.
Remove from heat and stir in the green onion.
Let stand.

Soak 1/2 cup apple wood chips 30 minutes.

Build an indirect fire in your grill of choice.

Clean and oil your grate very well (use Grate Chef Grill Wipes)

Add the chips to the fire and cook skin-down until the salmon is about halfway done.

Brush the salmon liberally with the glaze and finish cooking.

Remove from the grill and apply another liberal coat of glaze.

Serve with your favorite starch/veg.

Picture (dark spots are cherries)

I had Native American Indian told me to smoke my fish with dried corn cobs. It is lighter smoke he said. I did some up for him to try, useing a Hi Mountain Brine mix. Not being a fish eater I passed it around to other local fishermen here. They all couldn't beleived I used the corn cobs.

Back