2nd Smoke in Progress

Craig Cole

TVWBB Fan
Im doing a beer can chicken using a quasi "chicken on the throne" from Smoke & Spice. I'm using the rub and instead of injecting, I marinated it. Right now its going on 2.05 hours and the meat temp is 167F. Things seem to be going smoothly. This is actually my first Beer Can Chicken ever. The temp at the lid has been 300 for almost the entire smoke. I've done a little vent adjusting when it dipped to 250, but its holding steady now. Can't wait to taste it.

I marinated it in the injection liquid that the recipe calls for. I only marinated it for about 3 hours this morning. REally wasn't a marinade as it was just pour the liquid in it and on it and let it stand like that.

Sorry K Kruger, I just back back to the laptop. I put the probe in the thigh for the temp. This was per the instructions I read on either the Beer Can STand or in SMoke & Spice Book. It hit 180F around 4:45 so I pulled it off wrapped in foil, wrapped a towel around it and stuck in a cooler until 6:45. I just pulled it apart, more correctly I should say it fell apart. The breasts pulled off in two large chunks of meat. It is extremely juicy and very tender. The wife mildly reacts to my ribs & butts, but when she tasted the chicken, her eyes lit up and got really excited. The beer & spices really give this a unique flavor that is incredible. This was just using cheap budweiser beer. I give this chicken an A+, the meat almosts melts in your mouth and the taste is incredible. The only complaint that I have is that I didn't cook 2 or 3 of these today. The WSM was awesome. I only needed to make minor adjustments to the vents periodically throughout the cook, and the temp at the lid was a consistent 300F. The chix weighed 4.25lbs, and I had about 20 pieces of leftover sure fire from last week that had gray on some of them, 1 heaping chimney full of sure fire, then piled a heaping chimney of BGE lump charcoal on top of that.

Sounds terrific!

I was wondering about where you temped (since you didn't specify) because some only check the breast which, as you know, has a different finish temp. A thigh check alone or a thigh check plus a breast check is best when cooking whole chicken or chicken halves.

It's great when it all comes together so well, no?

Back