2nd smoke - BBR - didn't turn out too well. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duncan

My 2nd smoke today. Just two racks of BBR's.

Started at 12:00 Noon (meat on). Ended at 6:00pm. Temp hung around 225*.

Wood chunkc generated a nice amount of smoke.

Used 3-2-1 method.

Although the appearance was good, and the smoke ring was there, they were far from tender.

Self analysis:

1. When I foiled, I may not have kept it wrapped too tight.

2. Also, I just sprayed the ribs with apple juice when I foiled - I may not have put enough liquid in to generate "steam" to keep things tender.

3. The ribs themselves had more fat on them than I am used to, but instead of trimming prior to dry rubbing, I just left it there figuring it would keep things nice and moist.

If you need any more info about my methods, please let me know, but I would love to get some advice here for my next time.

Thanks all....

--

Duncan

My only suggestion would be to test doneness the old fashion way. Receding from the bone 1/8 to 1/4" and does a toothpick slide in easily between the bones. If not, they need to be cooked some more. In retrospect, more time in foil would have worked, but next time they may get pot roast tender - lots of variables. I stick to the old way as the final test.

Paul

i really cant help you much here....but i will be following these posts..cuz tom im planning on buys just a few ribs to do a test run.. to try out cooking and some rubs and slathers from Pauls book....cuz once again im cookin for fri nights meal....
take care and good luck

I use a different method, but 3-2-1 is only a guideline. The meat is done when its done. Ribs vary in size, fat content, ET. I often have some smaller racks finish first and larger ones go 1/2 to 1 to 1 1/2 hours longer. I prefer no foil. So far I have been happy with the results, and it allows me to better gauge doneness. I have noticed that people who use foil well will try to buy racks that are about the same as their last batch, to improve the likelyhood of similar results. I have had some racks that will not get tender no matter what, but this is rare.
I use the tear test and also look for some pulling down the bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back