2nd Membrane on Spare ribs

Bill W.

TVWBB Member
Has anyone else noticed a 2nd thinner membrane on spares? The last time I was prepping some spares I pulled off the membrane and I noticed there was a 2nd thinner membrane underneath. It was practically impossible to pull it off so I had to leave most of it on. When I ate the ribs I did notice it was kind of a tough chewy piece that I had to eat around. Anyway to get rid of that stuff?

If you do manage to get it off, you'll have a bigger prob with the ribs almost seperating. I've never notice a problem with it after cooking. Maybe a little of the first layer was left ? Some don't pull it (first layer) off at all, but simply score it with a sharp knife before cooking.

Paul

Hi Bill,

Yes I’ve noticed this with spares that there are two membranes. In my experience you don’t want to go all the way down to the bone. The bones can actually fall out. There are many different opinions on leaving or removing the membrane. You may want to experiment with leaving it on to see if you notice a big difference. I usually take them off but I know most restaurants leave them. Try one of each to see if you notice a huge difference
icon_smile.gif

Back