2nd dumb question from a newbie

Guy Wallace

TVWBB Super Fan
Ok for this up and coming holiday I have been asked ordered what have you ! To do a brisket and ribs ..... Well a brisket is I think a over night cook and ribs are like 3.5 to 5 hrs ??? so whata I do just keep adding coal and cook for 24 hrs ?? HELP

We'll see what others say but I would pull the brisket, foil it and finish in the oven while the ribs are one. Time it to have everything down two hours early and then hold them.

You could put the brisket back on after the ribs have been foiled to work on the bark if you want.

I duno but I sure am concerned about this bbq never done a brisket I personaly prefer pork butts ! And my ribs have been coming out either to done or to tough befor I got the WRM never done any on the WRM yet . I really need some help .
as soon as my son inlaw saw the smoker he starts quaking about brisket I have not done a brisket in 10 yrs . And back then it was on a a kettle BBQ .

Guy, having done both brisket and ribs on the WSM, although not an expert, I would give the following: ribs of any kind will take about 5-6 hrs. If you follow a 3/2/1 method then you are at 6 hrs but I have done it and think that you get great ribs at 5hrs. Cook temp 225-250.

Brisket is about 1.5 hrs per lb. I have finished in the oven but if you are heating the oven to 225 you might as well keep it on the smoker. A lot of the cook times for the brisket depends on weight. So what time do you want to eat? And how familiar are you with your smoker. I personally like a 4am start. Watch for 1 hr to stabilize the temp and then go back to sleep . Brisket will be done by 6pm. Ribs done same time if you put them on at noon. Oh, the other variable is the hold time for brisket after smoking.

Oh, and don't forget the camera so we can all drool.

Mark

P.S. The coals should be ok with full ring. If you happen to run low it will be way after you are awake.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
Guy, having done both brisket and ribs on the WSM, although not an expert, I would give the following: ribs of any kind will take about 5-6 hrs. If you follow a 3/2/1 method then you are at 6 hrs but I have done it and think that you get great ribs at 5hrs. Cook temp 225-250.

Brisket is about 1.5 hrs per lb. I have finished in the oven but if you are heating the oven to 225 you might as well keep it on the smoker. A lot of the cook times for the brisket depends on weight. So what time do you want to eat? And how familiar are you with your smoker. I personally like a 4am start. Watch for 1 hr to stabilize the temp and then go back to sleep . Brisket will be done by 6pm. Ribs done same time if you put them on at noon. Oh, the other variable is the hold time for brisket after smoking.

Oh, and don't forget the camera so we can all drool.

Mark

P.S. The coals should be ok with full ring. If you happen to run low it will be way after you are awake. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks a lot I have one question Do or should I start the brisket on the lower rack ? So I can add the ribs at noon ? And how much apple juice do you guys put in the foil when doing the ribs ?

I always give myself more time than I anticipate for two reasons.
1-Stall periods. I watch the internals climb nicely then they plateau. I watched a brisket sit in the 150 degree stall zone for over two hours and only gained two degrees. If I was pushed for time I would get nervous and try to ramp up the heat. Keep calm and give yourself more time than you expect it will take. If it does take longer, all is well.
2-Resting is a good thing. Even if you rest in foil in a towel lined cooler, the meat will sill steam up when you open the foil 3 hours later. And the meat gets better as it rests. If you finish 2 hours early...it is a good thing!
I cooked the best ribs ever last month. Trimmed out spares to get St Louis cuts are my faves. I smoked 3 hours at 250 pit temp, one hour in dry foil, one hour unfoiled to firm back up. 3-1-1 method. If you get too much steam in the foil (like adding apple juice) you IMHO will wash all your flavors and rubs off. If you dont agree, taste the juices pooled up in the foil as you toss it in the trashcan. I leave mine dry in the foil to render and naturally steam.

I just did my first brisket on my 22.5 WSM, it took 14 hrs. and then had 2 hrs. rest time in the cooler. I ran my chamber temp at 200-225°, started with a full ring of briquets with some hickory chunks. After 14 hrs. I still had about 1/4-1/3 of my briquets left!

I would put the brisket on the lower rack, cook it till it just gets past it's stall, wrap it in foil and take it to 190°, then pull it off the smoker. Wrap the foiled brisket in a towel and put into a cooler, fill rest of cooler with towels. Your brisket will rest, and it can stay hot in the cooler for several hours.

Now for the ribs. I would put the ribs on when you foil your brisket. They should finish up about 1 to 2 hrs. after the brisket was put in the cooler.

Plan on having everything done 3 to 4 hrs. prior to eating time, just to be safe. I usually prefer not to foil my ribs till I pull them off of the smoker. Then I foil them and rest them in a cooler for an hour or so. That way I get some nice bark, but then soften the bark just a tad during the rest time.

Back