2nd Attempt = 2nd AWESOME Results !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Fox

TVWBB Member
Well, last weekend it was my first attempt with my new WSM - BRITU which came out FANTASTIC ! Friday and yesterday, I did my first pork butts using the "Pork Butt - Slathered With Mustard & Rub" method.

Put the prepared butts in the smoker at 6:30 PM Friday. Used the Minion method for an overnight cook at 225-250, and by 12:30 PM Saturday, the internal temp reached 190 F. Foiled them tightly, insulated a cooler with some towels, and let them rest for 4 hours at which point the internal temp dropped to 159 F.

The pork pulled effortlessly and was enjoyed by about 40 people we had over for a pre Labor Day barbeque. Had K.C. Masterpiece and Tabasco on the side along with Potato flour buns and homemade coleslaw. Oh yeah, in keeping with my annual tradion, I deep fried 500 chicken wings as well.

Needless to say, the pulled pork was a tremendous success ! It was excellent and well received by my guests. Looks like I found a new passion in life .....

Check out the pics:

http://www.derkos.org/gallery/Pork_Butt

Didn't use a turkey fryer ..... I used 2 outdoor deep fryers with the standard pans and baskets. Experience has tought me that an optimal batch is 30-35 wings at a time otherwise they have a tendency to 'clump' together.

Bob

Five HUNDRED wings??? Datsa lotta wings...

Congrats on your successful butts! I've always been afraid of the mustard & rub method (does it taste mustardy?)

No mustard detected at all - just like the method explained, the mustard acts like a "glue" to hold the rub on, and promotes a nice bark - which it did indeed !

Bob

+

Susan,

Let not your heart be afraid of the mustard. I know it's hard to believe but there is no mustard taste at all and it does help the rub adhere. Go for it!

Bob and Bruce;
Thanks for the info provided on Susan's question about the mustard. I was wondering the same thing. I did a butt a few weeks ago and at the last minute decided not to use mustard since I don't like mustard all that much.
Rodgers

Susan,
I would be interested to hear how the hot caribbean mustard works. I also have some that I bought from 23 Degrees North. Good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back