24 Hour Smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
Here's what I'm planning:

A long-slow smoke with two butts on the bottom rack and two briskets on two racks above. (I'm going to try a rig an extra rack using soup cans.) I'm hoping to have these finish by 7 a.m. so that I can put on 4 slabs of ribs, which I hope to to take off by 11:30-noonish, to make way for a bunch of chix.

Dooable? I kick up the heat on the chix, so they're usually done in 2 hours.

My biggest concern is the build up of ash in the bottom. I assume I'll need to add charcoal along the way. Will I have to dump the old coals so as not to block the vents? How to do this without developing third degree burns on my little piggies?

Sounds brutal. Are you doing spareribs or babybacks? For spares you'll probably go closer to 7 hours, what with foiling and all. Also, I'd definitely do the butts on top and the briskets on the bottom 2 racks.

You don't have a charcoal grill? I'd smoke something on the grill in tandem with your WSM action instead of trying to time the back-to-back-to-back action...that sounds like a very aggressive schedule for one little WSM.

Last weekend I did a Marathon Smoke. I was not using water in the pan so I could, at one point, dissassemble and remove the ash after 20 hours or so in preparation for the next round. A pair of welding gloves will protect your hands, and a galvanized steel garbage pail (1/2 size?) would be handy to have standing by to receive the mostly consumed fuel.

I've separated the bullet mid-smoke before even with water in the pan. Gotta be careful.

I'm not sure I could pull off a smoke in the kettle. Seems too hard to regulate heat, smoke, etc.

I use the welding gloves also to disasemble when cooking. If i'm doing a long cook and need to stir coals and add charcoal i also lift the top and mid section off as one to do that. I prefer to do that verses getting ash all over the meat. I'ts easier than trying to put charcoal through the access door and to stir the coals.(JMO) Lift sraight up and set down gently, never had a spill yet.
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How to do this without developing third degree burns on my little piggies?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> don't wear sandals
icon_wink.gif

If your bowl is empty when you start then you burn a full ring, you might be able to add up to half a ring more before it starts becoming a problem. You could get to 30 hours before you *have* to address the issue, it depends how much fuel you burn. Last weekend I got to 24 hrs and was starting to get concerned but the vents were not restricted yet.

If you are planning on foiling your briskets or butts anyway you could finish them in the oven and make your life a little easier. Maybe shut down WSM, stick foiled meat in oven at 2AM and start with a fresh clean WSM in the morning for your ribs and chix so you don't have a mini crisis towards the end of the cook?

The way the ash can *poof* when you scoop it with a container ... consider some eye protection if you do try to scoop hot ash out.

sounds like you have a fun filled weekend ahead! hope you enjoy your cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back