22" Weber Kettle Grate

Ray.S

TVWBB Super Fan
When it's time to change your grate on your kettle what are you going to replace it with? I liked cast iron on my old Genesis but have never had CI on charcoal. Seems the Craycorts are popular but I like the design of the Napoleon CI grate. The wave pattern will prevent thin items from falling through and their hinged design mimics the factory hinge in operation. Meathead however has really slammed cast iron grates and seems strongly in favor of stainless grates. So there are three choices and I also have to include the factory grate as a fourth choice.

Try the factory grate with some GrillGrates sitting on top of it. Everyone has their own idea's about what works best for them.
If we all did things the exact same way, life would be boring. Experiment a little.....

At some random, indeterminate point in the future, the stainless steel aftermarket grates I ordered from Groupon will arrive. Hopefully, those (one for my performer, one for my JJ) will last me quite a long time.

My old stick burner (Char-Griller Smokin' Pro) has cast-iron grates and as much as I tried to season them (and I've got lots of cast iron cookware, so I know how the process works), one cook over direct heat would undo it all. I like the idea of the gourmet system with the sear grate in the middle, but the price of that setup is a bit off-putting. If I could find a cheap 18" CI grate, I'd get one for my secondary JJ as a dedicated steak and chop searing unit.

In truth I don't NEED anything other than the stock grate that came with the OTS, although the gourmet grate system does admittedly scratch at my imagination as to what else may be possible with the kettle...

Back