22 pound turkey in a WSM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This old thread has a link to an even older thread that indicates it will fit (bottom rack with top rack left out maybe?), and some other discussion about preparation and cooking method. I would think it goes without saying these days that a 22 lb. turkey is not a candidate for low & slow. Definitely a candidate for brining, though.

Doug,

Thanks for directing me to the thread. I wasn't planning to smoke the turkey, was figuring on 325, but I've never been able to fit a turkey on my kettle...thought I'd try the WSM, leaving the water pan empty.
Now a new question...to brine or not to brine? At 325, I'm not in the danger zone. I'm using a fresh turkey so I will inject for moisture...will brining give any added benefit for moisture if I'm already injecting?

One way to grill a large turkey on your kettle is to order the ring for the rotisserie attachment from Weber. In talking to them one time about the difficulty of fitting a large turkey under the dome of the kettle, they made the suggestion. It is less expensive than the full unit which I did not wish to purchase. You can easily cook indirect at 325 to 350 and add a few coals each hour to maintain your temp. I think I cooked a 20 lb bird in less than 5 hours.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Randy Parr:
[qb]Now a new question...to brine or not to brine? At 325, I'm not in the danger zone. I'm using a fresh turkey so I will inject for moisture...will brining give any added benefit for moisture if I'm already injecting? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I believe, at the time of that thread, that most of those participating in the discussion didn't consider cooking at anything but low & slow in their WSMs, hence all the talk about cures and danger zones.

I never inject. Brining gives me both the flavor and moisture I'm looking for. I do, however, put aromatics in the cavity-- quartered and steeped apple and onion, and rosemary sprigs.

I never inject either! When I use the honey brine I didn't need to.In my experience brining (as said above gives a person a very juicy bird). I think turkey done right has plenty of flavor with the smoke ring alone....I'm sure cajun butter flavoring is good too.

Just a thought but I always just do a lot of 12 pounders. It might not have the shock and awe of a 20 pounder but it's easier to cook and has better meat IMHO. The other benefit of that is you can do different flavors and stuffings. A Cajun Rice stuffing is our favorite.
Just my $0.02

Thanks for all the advice. I assumed that injecting would give me more benefit for moisture than brining...looks like that is not the general concensus. Thanks again. I think I will honey brine and not inject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back