22" Charcoal Grate falls off tabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruben Z

TVWBB Member
Not sure if this is normal but my new 22" Kettle charcoal grates keep falling off the tabs. I have to balance it almost perfectly. Even then that doesn't work because as soon as I pour the charcoal from chimney starter it falls. The Kettle is nice and round because the lid fits perfectly. Anyone have this problem?

Yup, bought it brand new and packaging didn't seem tampered with. I may need to look at others to see if its the tabs that hold the charcoal grate. Maybe they just need to be bent up a little.

i've had that issue. mostly when i get aggressive with the coals. my tabs are ok. i'm just a bit more carefull with the coals. if you push down on one side the grate will move to the side. i've thought of using a piece of wire around the grate and tab on the opposite side of the coals but its just not been a real issue.

I bought a new 22.5" OTG last month and I have the same problem with my charcoal grate. My grate is the correct size but after taking a closer look, it turns out that my grate is not quite round so it can fall off the tabs unless I set it down on the tabs perfectly and never accidentally move it (which is kinda impossible when I am pushing the coals around or cleaning the cooking grate with the brush). My grate is also not true so it wobbles too. I bent the tabs which seemed to keep my grate in place most of the time and minimized the wobbling. There are still some positions where the grate can fall.

I contacted Weber and told them about my grate. They nicely offered to send me a new charcoal grate free of charge. I received it super fast (3 days!) and unfortunately the new one had the same problem. So now I just try to be more careful when I push the coals around or when I am cleaning the cooking grate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back