22.5" WSM Mods

RémiB

Well, after waiting for what seems like forever, I finally finished most of the mods on my 22 WSM and plan on using it tomorrow.

I'll work my way from the bottom up. I installed 4" locking casters on the legs.

Because I plan on using a Pit Viper fan and Fireboard to control my WSM, I purchased the WSM adapter for the fan and plugged the vent holes with 3/4" nickel hole plugs. I put high-temp foil tap on the inside just to be sure.

I wanted to make sure the mid-section stayed in place. I know that Cajun Bandit and Hunsaker have solutions, but it's expensive to get anything shipped to Canada and the difference between the US and Canadian currencies meant these weren't solutions I wanted to consider. So I purchased some clamps on Amazon. I have three beside each leg holding the mid-section in place.

I'm planning on using sand in the water bowl, so I purchased a pizza pan to use as a cover for the water bowl. I also added shelf brackets to the grill straps to allow me to move my lower rack up or add an extra rack.

I plan on cooking multiple things at once, so I decided to add an extra grommet above the original one so I can use more probes in my cooker.

https://i.imgur.com/wOhBtCl.jpg

I added handles to the mid-section. I found these Weber kettle handles without heat shields online and think they look good. I'm considering painting the handles black, but I'll leave them as-is for now.

https://i.imgur.com/gMrW6Vy.jpg

Because I plan on using my WSM in the winter, I added a gasket from LavaLock on the top of the mid-section. I also added and Unknown BBQ lid hinge. Really like the idea of not needing to put the lid on the ground when I'm cooking.

https://i.imgur.com/8Hi3rLQ.jpg

I added a Cajun Bandit SS door with a Southco turn & lift latch and added some of the gasket material to the door for an extra tight seal. I also changed the front handle on the lid to one with tool hooks.

https://i.imgur.com/a0mwh2E.jpg

I plan on modifying the charcoal basket and adding a second charcoal grate, but waiting for parts to get that done. Since I drilled all the holes I wanted and painted them, there's no reason not to fire it up now. Looking forward to my first cook.

You may want to consider moving the handle with tool hooks one of the side handles. You probably won't use them that often if you have to take the tools off of it to lift the lid.

You may want to consider moving the handle with tool hooks one of the side handles. You probably won't use them that often if you have to take the tools off of it to lift the lid.
Makes sense Lee. I like the aesthetics of it in the middle, but practically it makes a lot more sense on the side. Will change it up soon enough. Thanks.

Because of the gaskets, it's hard getting it to burn hot right now. Just wanted to burn off the oil on the grates. Don't think it's machine oil (doesn't have a smell), but think it's better safe than sorry. Having to open up the door every so often to get it to climb up in temp. Going to be great once my Fireboard shows up next week to maintain temps with a fan, but right now, it needs a little babysitting.

I don't get the clamps for the mid section...where's it going to go?

It's just to keep it in place, in the unlikely event the middle and top tip over because of the lid hinge or a huge gust of wind. Might be overkill, and unlike some people who've had issues with their hinge install, mine seems stable enough, but like the extra security.

I don't have wheels, but I would guess that the possibility exists that it will come apart if you just grab a handle and try to wheel it around.

After moving my WSM around the yard, I noticed the legs aren't quite straight. The ground seems level, but guess there are more ruts covered up by grass. Think I might add some perforated steel angles similar to the 'Drogon' WSM by Y. Yang for extra stability.

Looking very good. Where did you find that pizza pan? Does it completely cover the water pan? I bought that aluminium pan cover from Amazon (forget the name), but it fits inside the flanges of the water pan, so if it isn't completely sealed with foil, grease leaks into the water pan.

Maybe I have just been lucky but I started with the WSM 18 for many years then moved up to the 22. Once I dialed in where to set the vents for long, slow cooks I never saw the need for a fan and blower. But I don't do competitions, just cook for the family and friends and I have found that the WSM's are very forgiving. Your setup looks great and good cooking.

Looking very good. Where did you find that pizza pan? Does it completely cover the water pan? I bought that aluminium pan cover from Amazon (forget the name), but it fits inside the flanges of the water pan, so if it isn't completely sealed with foil, grease leaks into the water pan.

I found the pan on Amazon (see Pizza Pan). It doesn't sit inside the flange, but it doesn't completely covern the top, so there is potential for grease to get under and into the water pan if you don't foil it. I tried one cook without foiling it to see what would happen. I cooked beef eye of round roast and some pork belly that cook. No grease got under into the water pan, but the roast was lean and the pork belly pieces were small, so there wasn't much fat. Even so, the mess I had to clean the following day made it clear in my mind I will always foil the pan from now on.

Maybe I have just been lucky but I started with the WSM 18 for many years then moved up to the 22. Once I dialed in where to set the vents for long, slow cooks I never saw the need for a fan and blower. But I don't do competitions, just cook for the family and friends and I have found that the WSM's are very forgiving. Your setup looks great and good cooking.

It can get very windy where I live and I plan on using my smoker in the winter months as well, so I like the idea of having a device to control my temps. I did my first couple of cooks without the Fireboard and the WSM was pretty steady, but both days were rather calm weather-wise. I've used my Fireboard once it showed up for a couple of cooks as well and it worked well, but it's one of the new version 2 drive units and there's a small defect that could cause an issue down the road, so I'm sending it back for a replacement unit.

It's just to keep it in place, in the unlikely event the middle and top tip over because of the lid hinge or a huge gust of wind. Might be overkill, and unlike some people who've had issues with their hinge install, mine seems stable enough, but like the extra security.
I don't have clamps and there's been a couple times that I wish I did. I have a hinge for the lid on my 22 and a several year old gasket around the top of the mid-section. I've had a couple times when the lid stuck to the gasket enough that I lifted the mid-section as well. Fortunately there was someone nearby to help me recover.

Back