22.5 OTG set up?

Jo Torez

TVWBB Super Fan
Most of the pictures I see have the indirect set up. (Great pictures by the way) Do you use that method for all of your grilling? 1 weber chimney?

*Please excuse the dumb question...im only familiar with the old School pray that the lighter fluid doesnt burn the house or the trees down. I'm converting to charcoal on the weekends lol

My general grilling setup (brats, dogs, burgers) is about a half chimney banked to one side (I use the charcoal rails) http://store.weber.com/accessories/category/cook/1348. That way I have a hot and cool zone to move things around between so I don't have to remove food immediately when it's done. It also gives you a place to let your burgers come up to well done (cool zone) if your fire's too hot and would otherwise turn them into charcoal for your next cook. Plus it's the same setup for reverse sear.

I have and use my 22.5" OTG regularly. Sometimes several times in a week. I use it for both direct and indirect. In fact, I often do both on one cook (as do many others, here) by cooking steaks, chops, and even hamburgers on indirect to a pre-determined heat level, then sear (called the reverse sear). When you do that, you set up a two level fire (dumping a full chimney of lit briquets behind a couple of firebricks). On the direct side, it raises the coals up nearer the cooking grate for a great sear. With the lid on, you have a great "oven" for indirect on the side with no coals. Here is the set up when I did a picnic roast for pulled pork:

You can do ribs indirect, as well as Boston Butt, Pepper Stout Beef, and any number of things. I now have a WSM so do my smoking on it but my son, who is an accomplished griller and smoker does all of his work on his 22.5" Performer and is completely happy with it for all types of grilling and smoking. Also, you can use a plank direct for fish and chops (you absolutely cannot beat wild Alaskan Salmon on a plank - wonderful hot off the grill and BEYOND good served cold on a cream cheese bagel or toasted slice of Baguette brushed with Extra Virgin Olive Oil...

Dale53

Most of the pictures I see have the indirect set up. (Great pictures by the way) Do you use that method for all of your grilling? 1 weber chimney?

*Please excuse the dumb question...im only familiar with the old School pray that the lighter fluid doesnt burn the house or the trees down. I'm converting to charcoal on the weekends lol

No such thing as a dumb question. :)

Your curiosity will always lead you to learning new techniques! I typically do set up my grill for indirect grilling which allows for one side to be intensely direct which I like for finishing many things. I do like making paella on my Weber kettle and in that instance I make an even layer of coals all along the bottom grate so as to get even cooking on my paella pan which is 15". The Weber makes a fantastic paella btw!! I'll have to post some pics from my next cook. Anyway, Josie, there are so many ways to use your Weber!! Enjoy!

No such thing as a dumb question. :)

Your curiosity will always lead you to learning new techniques! I typically do set up my grill for indirect grilling which allows for one side to be intensely direct which I like for finishing many things. I do like making paella on my Weber kettle and in that instance I make an even layer of coals all along the bottom grate so as to get even cooking on my paella pan which is 15". The Weber makes a fantastic paella btw!! I'll have to post some pics from my next cook. Anyway, Josie, there are so many ways to use your Weber!! Enjoy!

Wow that's awesome!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing those pics for sure!!! Thank you!

I have and use my 22.5" OTG regularly. Sometimes several times in a week. I use it for both direct and indirect. In fact, I often do both on one cook (as do many others, here) by cooking steaks, chops, and even hamburgers on indirect to a pre-determined heat level, then sear (called the reverse sear). When you do that, you set up a two level fire (dumping a full chimney of lit briquets behind a couple of firebricks). On the direct side, it raises the coals up nearer the cooking grate for a great sear. With the lid on, you have a great "oven" for indirect on the side with no coals. Here is the set up when I did a picnic roast for pulled pork:

You can do ribs indirect, as well as Boston Butt, Pepper Stout Beef, and any number of things. I now have a WSM so do my smoking on it but my son, who is an accomplished griller and smoker does all of his work on his 22.5" Performer and is completely happy with it for all types of grilling and smoking. Also, you can use a plank direct for fish and chops (you absolutely cannot beat wild Alaskan Salmon on a plank - wonderful hot off the grill and BEYOND good served cold on a cream cheese bagel or toasted slice of Baguette brushed with Extra Virgin Olive Oil...

Dale53

Thank you!!! This looks awesome!!

Great question Josie ! The way I learned was to consistently look at the photos of everyones grilling and what foods they were grilling. Then I replicated what I saw. You will get used to it and it will become second nature. Have you tried Roadside Chicken recipe? That is a very fun recipe to grill, you appreciate the cool zone with that one, but the flare ups are fun. If any fire gets out of hand close the lid, it will snuff it out temporarily, then I lift the lid up quickly and am back to grilling again. That is one of the great things that I appreciate about charcoal grilling I feel I actually have more control over the fire and cooking temperature.

Dale53

I use practically the same set-up with my 26 for almost everything except I foil the unused portion of the charcoal grate to restrict air flow so it can only come up through the burning coals. I find it's a little better for fuel consumption and very easy to control temps.

I use practically the same set-up with my 26 for almost everything except I foil the unused portion of the charcoal grate to restrict air flow so it can only come up through the burning coals. I find it's a little better for fuel consumption and very easy to control temps.

Ill definitely have to try that as well. Thank you very much!!

I've been trying this method for the last couple cooks and can tell a difference.

Back