22.5 Lavaloc door install & info

Mike-Ohio

Below is a summary of my decisions and experiences installing a lava lock door. Hope my 2¢ helps the next person considering stock door replacement.

After I lost a good sized pork but to a flame out I went through all the possible ways it could have failed. The cook started hot, which I mistakenly attributed to a long dry cherry split I used for smoke wood, but temps were stable for 2 hours before bed. I've set it up for overnight smokes similar to this before without issue so I wasn't afraid. Woke up to a cold smoker and meat below safe serving temp. My last logged probe reading was just before safe but there's no way to be sure it actually reached it or how long it remained below so into the trash it went.

After scavenging the forum It looked like my culprit was air leaks. All body seals were fairly tight and had fresh felt installed the previous year. Which just left the janky door, the door who had been bent into shape countless times, who's handle had disintegrated and been replaced with spare bolts and scrap wood I had lying about. It was less than ideal so I considered the options.

1). New stock door
Matches the look & function, cheap. BUT:
; ultimately same handle that failed and same bendy problems down the line.
2). Cajun bandit door
Matches the look & most function, steel is REAL, costs a bit more than stock, better latch and sealing. BUT; handle is still smallish and door is now heavy, some complain they still have to bend it like the stock door.
3) Lavalock Door
Hinges!, strong latch, steel, seals tight, easy access, you don't have to put door down on the ground. BUT; most expensive, requires corrosion protection, requires modification that can't be undone, utilitarian.

The hinges and strong seal of that latch ultimately won me over. It just eliminates a whole mess of variables and really is set it and forget it after install. The bandit almost stole the show due to to ease of install and price, but I didn't want to troubleshoot bending to fit if need be.

Install & a few pictures to come later. It's dinner time here.

The door arrived well packed and the whole kit was really well put together. Fit and finish was really good for the price but it still required a fair bit of prep before mounting.

Steps
1, sand and deburr the door and flange.
Basic metal prep for paint. I used some 320 grit I had and cleaned with acetone. The edges didn't have any burrs but were a bit sharp for my liking. I took a file to them and smoothed things out.
2, Prime Paint and dry.
I used vht very high heat primer and rustolem engine enamel I had from other projects. I followed each cans instructions to the letter. the door was wet sanded with 600grit between primer and top coat because I like it smooth. Let it all dry overnight then set it in the sun the next day to help cure.
3, Prepare the drum.
I didn't get any pictures the next day but I cleaned the drum with acetone and a rag, followed by yellow cap easy off for what carbon remained. A rough outline was laid down with blue painter's tape and the flange was held up and leveled. Holes were marked in permanent maker, flange removed, then set with a starter punch and drilled through.
4, Mounting.
It really just bolts right up. Put in the top two bolts to hang it and go down the line. Used the supplied RTV gasket tube to seal all the holes/gaps from the inside and outside of the flange. The door just slips on and the latch bolts right up. Assembly done.
5,Burn in.
Set a fire and burn it all in. The paint may be dry and ready but it's still gonna off gas when you take it to temperature, don't want that around your next meal. Might be wise to keep the latch a bit loose at first as some of my felt gasket stuck to the door as the paint got hot.

So, the big question, did I solve my air leak problem? You betcha. Only down side is how much bigger the door and latch make the already large 22.5 feel. It's not as cute of a bullet now, more of an industrial device, but its either smoking or in the garage and the better it works the happier I am.

Thanks for reading, hope this helps someone or is at least interesting.

Attachments

• 20240608_215922.jpg
    20240608_215922.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240608_221418.jpg
    20240608_221418.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240608_220248.jpg
    20240608_220248.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240611_185857.jpg
    20240611_185857.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240611_185915.jpg
    20240611_185915.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 36
I think it would effect normal cooking on a stock unit due to increasing the convection draft.
Meaning a little air leak would now be a big air leak.
It does look cool though.

Yeah that stack definitely increases draft if I put it right on the upper vent. I have it gapped by about an inch or two when I'm cooking so it's collecting ambient too and not just pulling direct from the bullet. The way the wind blows in my neighbourhood and the way my awning and soffit vents are set up, the backyard gets sucked into my attic. That bit of flex venting pulls it up above the roofline and keeps outta my business.
Probably should build a separate patio to smoke on but my yard is small that tube was cheap.

I get smoked out too.
I cook on our back deck and if my slider door is open the smoke goes straight inside the house.
We don’t have ac so that can be unpleasant at times.
I hope to get a decent cook area one of these days.

Back